Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly Rod with Float

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Rod with Float

I have a friend that uses an 8' St Croix flyrod with a Diawa trigger spin close face reel. He fishes with a float with either a small jig or split shot and minnow..Does anyone here use this or a like method...I'm thinking about giving this a try and would like some input...

Thanks
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use a fly rod for this, but it will definitely work. It's basically the same method the "grizzly jig" guys use. The fly rod would definitely be more suited to vertical fishing rather than casting the float. For casting, I prefer a rod designed for float fishing.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he uses the fly rod because it is much lighter that the spinning rods..I also thought the fly rod would not have the backbone to set the hook on a minnow set up....His fly rod is 6 wt...I use a 7' spinning rod for this but it is definitely much heavier..
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you just fly fish? You'll enjoy it. As far as the strike indicator (float), when fly fishing you can feel the fish take or you will see the line straighten out on a take.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the same setup for trout at the Wolf Creek dam in Ky. It works great. GLoomis experimented with a Fly rod blank set up with spinning rod eyes a nd a spinning reel seat, it worked great. Never saw it on the market but I bet they will build you one if you wanted it. Try it you wuill love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flyrod

I would stick with the Flyrod. Use sinking line for Crappie or Sink tip line. Floating line with poppers for bass and for Blue gills. I have a float tub that I fish out of or a boat, It makes no difference. 40yrs. Fly fishing and tying my own flys. I use a corky as a strike indicator. Also guys I have a Depth Finder on my Float tub and that keeps me in fish all the time.
    Last edited by Ken Jones; 05-08-2008 at 10:20 AM.