Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 48 in shaft or 54 in .?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 48 in shaft or 54 in .?

guys just wondering what yall think . im getting a powerdrive v2 trolling motor . i have a lowe 175 stinger . do i need the 54 in shaft . it only costs 10 bucks more . will it be harder to stow , etc. thanks for the info guys !

Bamagill Guest

I am fixing to buy a trolling motor for my new boat and I decided to go with the 54" because I figure it will ride in the water better in choppy conditions. I am going to duck hunt out of the boat so it could be rougher conditions and I will need longer shaft. Just my .02 worth.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks bamagill ! rolltide!

Bamagill Guest

Only 114 days til kickoff! Roll Tide

Post Thanks / Like

amen! rolltide!

Post Thanks / Like

war eagle

Post Thanks / Like

maybe the tide can end the streak this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txtider View Post
    guys just wondering what yall think . im getting a powerdrive v2 trolling motor . i have a lowe 175 stinger . do i need the 54 in shaft . it only costs 10 bucks more . will it be harder to stow , etc. thanks for the info guys !
    Can't remember where I read this (may have been somewhere on this site). Anyway, what I read said to measure from the bow down to the water line and then add 23 inches for the proper length trolling motor shaft. I read that after I had already bought my new TM. I have the 54" and probably would have been fine with the 48". Having a longer shaft allows you to put the motor deeper when the water is real choppy from the wind, allowing better boat control.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 60" shaft on my trolling motor. It is to long for around here, but some of the northern Lakes I fish I drop it down and use the whole 60" to keep it in the water when it gets pretty choppy. Around here I just raise it up to the desired length and no problems. The Trolling motor I had before this one was 42" and way to short and was out of the water half the time with a slight breeze. If you have a question about the length I would go with the longer shaft, because you can always raise it up, but if it is to short you are dinked. Depends on how much weight you are carrying in the back of the boat too.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Longer is better. You can always raise it up when it's calm or you're fishing shallow or over weeds, but like the other folks said, when it gets choppy, you'll be happy you are able to lower it far enough to keep it in the water.