Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Size, Creel or Slot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Size, Creel or Slot

I was talking with a DNR rep this past week-end and we were talking about this. Our lakes are doing better then in the past but she and I wondered which would be better. I would like to see a 9 or 10 inch size instated and a creel of 20 or 30 per BOAT, NOT ANGLER, this would stop the one class of folks who put 20 persons on a pontoon to go to slaughter slabs. we were then discussing a slot system, like over 9" but under 14". To keep the big slabs for breeding. What do you guys think about this?
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

There has been alot of talk on this forum about these issues. And I believe in keeping only what you intend to eat. But I have fished the same waters for years, and keep limits all the time. Year in and year out the same waters produce plenty of fish. It has always been this way. Kentucky lake or Reelfoot for example, waters that always have loads of fish. No matter what laws are passed, there will still be some people who take every fish they catch. I try to throw back the females that are full of eggs, but I dont feel that taking your limit really effects the lake to where we wont have fish in the future. I'm sure many will disagree, but thats my opinion.
    Last edited by Locator79; 05-07-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

my home lake has no limits and i have seen alot of fish go out over the years but it seems to be more affected by spawn conditions and shad poupulation than anything. I have fished alot of lakes with limits that have skinny fish and you have to sort through a hundred fish to get 10 good ones. so far this year my average fish is 12" and about 20 per trip of that size i'll take that. I think I have thrown back maybe 10 fish that were 10ish or less. Ive kept about 35 fish so far.
    ITS LIKE BASEBALL PITCHIN,HITTIN,CATCHIN

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The 10'' length limit did not work here. Atleast that's what the AGFC told us after a short time. Never saw it enforced much either.:rolleyes:
    We have too much fishing pressure and a reduced creel won't help as not many follow the 20 fish limit per day. The Crappie need thinned out if they are small but also need time to grow if you want slabs. Nimrod Lalke was once known far and wide for it's slab Crappie
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I think that 20 people on a pontoon is rediculas, thats not sport, thats greed! as far as the 14 and over going back thing, no need to do that. there are plenty of big fish out there. We all know that a 14" crappie didn't get to 14" by being stupid. Its our job and not an easy 1 to find and catch them. A 14" crappie has got to be pretty old and probabally aint gonna be with us too much loonger any way (I could be wrong) so i think its better to let the younger fish take care of the repopulating of the lake
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, How would 20 people on a pontoon be any different than 20 guys in 20 jon boats? Not sure I understand the problem here.... I have never done it, but I don't see the problem with it either....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone View Post
    Hmm, How would 20 people on a pontoon be any different than 20 guys in 20 jon boats? Not sure I understand the problem here.... I have never done it, but I don't see the problem with it either....

I was thinking the same thing pstone - I don't like a fish hog anymore than
    the next guy, but if they bought 20 fishing licenses... they are entitled to
    20 limits of fish the way I look at it.

Not sure how many 'toons will legally
    haul 20 folks though, even 15.

Fish would really have to be THICK for
    that to pan out anyway - I've noticed when we're trolling, I catch on
    average the same numbers by myself as I do with two or three helpers.
    Only difference it makes at all is maybe seeing bites I wouldn't, or helping
    net fish or deal with more than one fish on at once.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone View Post
    I was thinking the same thing pstone - I don't like a fish hog anymore than
    the next guy, but if they bought 20 fishing licenses... they are entitled to
    20 limits of fish the way I look at it.

Not sure how many 'toons will legally
    haul 20 folks though, even 15.

Fish would really have to be THICK for
    that to pan out anyway - I've noticed when we're trolling, I catch on
    average the same numbers by myself as I do with two or three helpers.
    Only difference it makes at all is maybe seeing bites I wouldn't, or helping
    net fish or deal with more than one fish on at once.

I agree completely! 20 men 20 licenses 20 limits, however. 20 men in jon boats probabally anit gonna be all humped on 1 brush plie like a pontoon can do.
    and
    maybe i was to quick to assume that the pontoon guys were unethical
    but
    I do know people that will take as much as they can ( i'm related to some of them) and if it depletes the area of whatever, well then who cares they got what they wanted and pi$$ on every 1 else.

20 guys on a pontoon not likely, but 10 is doable so figger 10 men 3 times a day @ 20 fish each is 600 fish, and i have seen it happen, with doves, quail, and even blue gills, and it will drastically hurt an area. Now 600 fish is probabally high, but it could happen and is leagal. What i should have said is that this situation is not an ethical choice for me!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-08-2008 at 07:23 AM.
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for a minimum limit but definitely not a maximum. I catch very few crappie over 14" and have only caught two over 15" and I certainly would not want to throw them back. Fish this size are very old and will not be around much longer anyways. A 14" crappie has had plenty of years to spawn.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

any yahoo who loads a TOON up with 14 other yahoo's arn't gonna catch anyway ESPECIALLY if they "plan on limiting out everyone"...GOOD LUCK!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast