Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pattern of Time

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Pattern of Time

I first met Homer Smith in a shallow cove laden with lilly pads. He was in his late 60's and I was in my early 20's. We were both long poleing with jigs in the cove, only problem was he was doing all the catching and I was doing all the watching. After a couple hours of this, I finally broke down and from a distance,"Sir do you mind telling me what your doing". With out hesitation he said sure come on over. He showed me a yellow and white skirt, white/red eye 1/32 oz jig and said only fish two feet deep and around where the pads are thickest. Not having the right Jig head he quickly said here ya go try a couple of these with that skirt. I did what he said and soon enough I was on em too. A couple months later I was on a deep water bite with minnows under a bridge on our home waters. I saw Homer jig fishing around the bridge without much luck. He asked they biten minnows, I quickly said yes gave him some of my minnows and we fished together catching slab after slab until dark. We become friends for the next 25 years or so, fishing together and meeting each other at the different patterns on our lake and always sharing to help each other catch fish. Homer fished right up to his passing at 93 years old, and I will always remember and miss my friend in that little oneman fiberglass boat, who taught me so much over the years. A couple years ago in the fall, fishing that same cove and pattern me and Homer fished so often, I heard off in the distance a young man yell, "hey Mister you mind telling me how your catching those fish" Every now and then when im fishing on the water alone and I reach into my net and grab that big slab I look up to the Good Lord and say to myself, "This one's for you Homer" and I know somewhere in heaven he is smiling. Next time your on the water take the time to remember those kind souls who fished with you. Take Care Crappie Pro...
    Last edited by CrappiePro; 08-20-2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: wording
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP

Post Thanks / Like

That is what it is all about, PASSING IT ON.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Good story CP. You were blessed to have a guy like that in your life and he was blessed by you. How great would it be if we could all be able to be out there enjoying our sport at 93.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy Joe passed of a heart attack Christmas eve 2000. He introduced me to fishing in Arkansas, and we spent many hours on the water together. Now as a few years have passed, and every once in a while when i really get on them, i'll feel the boat rock ever so slightly and know that he is there.

As far as living til i'm 93, well it just aint gonna happen. I plan on being killed by a jelous husband some where around 80!
    Stinkies Daddy

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

great story crappiepro...taking the time to help each other and building camaraderie is whats it is all about. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story cp. Many thoughts went through my head as I read that. Thanks for making me remember the memories.
    If you are a veteran or active military, THANK YOU.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed reading that post crappie pro.You should write a book.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP!.. Made me take time out from a terrible day to think of a brother, a dad and others that taught me to fish..

Great story, thanks for sharing..

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved your post, Pro. Friendships and comraderie like that are what I enjoy about the outdoors most. Doing what you enjoy is good fun, but sharing what you know and passing on the fire that I feel burning inside is what it's all about.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Good story. Makes you realize how fisherman are some of the most friendly people you will ever run across.
    Fishin' is cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast