Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Tricks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Tricks

Hey do any of you use a loop knot to tie your jigs on? I run a 4 or 6 pound test through the eye of the jig, double it back along side the main line, about a 12 inch tag end. Holding the main line and tag line in one hand I then take the jig and do a simple overhand knot with both lines. This will put a loose overhand knot around your main line. Then just work the knot down toward the eye of the jig by pulling the tag end and main line gently. Once you get a small loop down bye the eye go ahead and tighten. This knot is strong, keeps the jig horizontal in the water, no more constantly pushing the line to the back of the eye. Maybe someone with more computer prowess than me can put up and illustration of what im talking about.

I always slightly bend my jig hook out a little, and if in heavy cover, ill bend the tension out of the hook, enough to where my line wont break, the hook will strighten, but still strong enough to land those slabs. Fish Hard! Crappie Pro
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP

Post Thanks / Like

heres the one i use. sound like what you are talkin about.

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsloop/index.php

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use large jigs on light line. My 1/8 oz leadheads with 2'' umbrella tubes tend to spin and twist my line while verticle jiggin. I started putting in a barrel swivel about 18'' above my jig to stop this.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I use what I call a jig snap which lets the jig float free. It is a little wire loop that ties to your line and hooks thru jig eye. It works great..
    Mr. Obama gonna save us all !!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Loops are fine if you are trolling. If you vertical, jigs tend to be at an up angle due to the weight of the grub or tube. Pull the knot back. If you get tired of pulling the knot back, super glue it.

Also, on unpainted jigs, you can bend the hook eye back some. This will give the jig a downward look before you put a tube or grub on it. You can experiment with the hook hole bend vs tube/grub and get it perfect (even with a loop knot). This doesn't work too good with previous painted jigs. Bend them before you paint them.

Try this out. Give you something to do and keep you out of the refrigerator.

My expert advice about jig rigging.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is my setup

If the current dictates, I will do a loop knot on the top jig and a palomar knot on the bottom.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a surgeons loop for jigs. Works great.
    Also if you need to bend the hook back, try some sickle hooks. They have a wider gap out of the box and they're very, very sharp.