Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer work

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer work

Soon I will need to replace the wood and carpet on my trailer. Any good ideas on how to remove the boat from the trailer without taking it to the lake? I would like to do this in my driveway. Probably something simple I'm not thinking of.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Is you boat aluminum or fiberglass?

I have taken several aluminum boats of of trailers in the yard by hooking a chain to the back of the boat and to a tree. Then just pull the trailer out from under the boat. I would also place several tires or a large block of styrofoam under the back of the boat to keep the foot of the motor off the ground. When you get ready to put it back on the trailer just wet down the runners and hook the winch up and crank it right back up on the trailer. This is also a good time to change the strap or rope on your winch. Also unhook the trailer from your vehicle when you winch it back under the boat. If you have a boat dealer nearby you may check with him for some big blocks of styrofoam.

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

Get your boards cut to the right length, wrap them with the carpet, and next time you go fishing take your drill and screws and replace them at the boat landing after you launch your boat. Takes about 20 min.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Put a support on the trailer if needed towards the front of the boat. Loosen the bow tie down a little. Remove the tie down(s) at the stern. Using a block of wood on a jack, jack the stern up until the boat just does clear the bunks. The bow should hit the support you put there. The last one I did this way had a roller up front so it served the purpose of the support. Using jack stands & blocks of wood you can support the boat o0n each side of the stern as you jack it up. I've done several this way but not sure if I explained myself.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Let your tounge jack as low as possible and set some jackstands under the back of the boat with 2x4's on them with a rug or somthing on it,
    then run the jack up as high as it will go and block it the front the same way it sould give you about 4 inch clearence! remove and replace bunkrails and reverse the steps.
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

Chock the wheels of your trailer then lower the tongue jack of your trailer. Next block up the rear of your boat, I use jack stands and bloskc of wood. Now jack up the front of the trailer and this will lower the back of the trailer and the blocks will keep the boat raised. Now use a jack and wood blocks to raise the front of the boat. You can now remove the bunk boards from the trailer.

Edit: Dang, you beat me to it while I was typing!
    Endangering the crappie way of life in two different centuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys, I'm headed in the right direction. I have done this before, but my other boat is small 14' jon that I can pick up and put back on the trailer myself. This boat is a 1648 with lots of extras I have installed, and it is way heavier than the other.

Thanks again
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jignjim View Post
    Get your boards cut to the right length, wrap them with the carpet, and next time you go fishing take your drill and screws and replace them at the boat landing after you launch your boat. Takes about 20 min.
    This is your best option! GOD firbid it was to fall off a jack sitting in your drive way.
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

The best way is to plan a week fishing trip! Fish 3 or 4 days and then replace the bunk boards and fish some more!
    Endangering the crappie way of life in two different centuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah dont take your chances.....just take it to the lake...and do it there...it only takes a few minutes....i just did it a month ago....just be sure to be at a ramp with little traffic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast