Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finally got out!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally got out!

Finally got the boat in the water yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. I just went to a small local lake and did better than I expected to do. I just wanted to get the boat in the water and make sure it was running ok before I take it to the lake I usually fish during the year. I took a couple of retired guys with me. The water temp was 64 degrees over most of the lake except over the channels it was 63. We fished in 20 foot of water along a channel ledge and was catching fish about 8-10 down in standing trees. We started using minnows and then I switched and started using a Chartreuse 1-1/16th oz maribou jig. We was catching a lot of small Crappie and bluegill and bass on the minnows, so thought I would try a jig. First cast and caught a 14-1/2 inch Crappie. We ended up with 4 keepers to take home which will make a meal for one of the guys. I fillet them and gave them to one of the guys. He was really happy with them. Said it had been awhile since he had fresh fish for dinner, and that he helped catch them made it all the more enjoyable. I already broke the tip off of one of my long rods which is now 3 inches shorter. All in all it was a very enjoyable couple of hours in the afternoon.
    The big Crappie was a female and was loaded with eggs. The others were males.
    Last edited by Eager Beaver; 05-06-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Great report! That's the kind of info that really helps...without giving away a particular spot.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear you got some fishing in, good report and congrats on the catch.
    I use a Chartreuse 2'' tube on a 1/16th jig and tip it with a minnow, works good here. Just something to try.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I even took the dead or dying minnows and put on the back of the jig and caught a few with that combination too. I always take a few minnows along because you never know for sure what they will bite on. I try to give them what they want and not what I want to catch them on.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    I even took the dead or dying minnows and put on the back of the jig and caught a few with that combination too. I always take a few minnows along because you never know for sure what they will bite on. I try to give them what they want and not what I want to catch them on.

I know what you are talking about:D Sometimes we tend to use what looks good to us and then say ( now how come the fish are not biting) it just takes what they want
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4