Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie-30 foot of water on shallow cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie-30 foot of water on shallow cranks

Could not believe it tonight!

Went out after dinner for 2 hours. Had some minnows left over from this weekend - jig/minnow combo caught 6 nice crappie, 2 white bass and a couple of 2# channel cats, all released to fight again.

Went to an area where I had caught crappie in deep water (30') and noticed something feeding on the surface-the typical sign of feeding fish-kind of a 'whoosh'. On my 2nd cast I caught a 12" black crappie. In the next 10 minutes or so I caught and released 4 more plump crappies. Do not think they had spawned, but were backed off the shore into this deep water, and were feeding over deep water. The crankbait was an old one, do not even know what kind it is, but runs only about 2 feet deep. Three times a crappie came up to hit it as I began to lift it into the boat. Your heart just kinda jumps in your throat when that happens!

Husker
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Not uncommon.

Sometimes you hit the right area at the right time.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

thats what we did yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, Husker. I used some of the new BPS mini cranks a couple of weekends ago up against the banks and caught a few -- all of which were nice. I knew Mr. Baker would have been proud, as he introduced me to crappie on cranks last fall. It was fun.

Congrats on your catch!
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)