Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: AutoPilot pros and cons

Post Thanks / Like

Default AutoPilot pros and cons

What is your opinion on the Auto pilot and what style of fishing can it improve? Spider rigging, long line trolling, verticle jigging? I'm about to make the plunge and just want some heads up. THANKS

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only time it isn't any good is when you are sitting still. You will love it!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bite the bullet!! Well worth the bucks. Went with a guide that had one on the boat we used, a real hands off setup.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine, wouldn't have another one without it.

Dave

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Terrova

AUTOPILOT IS THE ONLY TROLLING MOTOR FOR ALL TYPES OF CRAPPIE FISHING. IF YOU HAVE A WIRELESS MODEL, BE SURE TO GET A FOOT PEDAL.
    THE WIRELESS PAD BECOMES AN 8 SPEED. WITH THE FOOT PEDAL YOU HAVE ABSOLUTE CONTROL OF SPEED.

MONK http://MONKSCRAPPIE.COM
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I have a TM with Auto Pilot, Universal sonar and it's wireless. I like all of them, but the wireless feature is the best because you can run the TM from any where in the boat and not need to foot control or anything else.

Auto Pilot is good if you are going in a straight line, but if you need to adjust and are at the back of the boat or at the console the wireless thing really is great!

I bought my motor with everything but the wireless part and I bought that separate from Cabela's after the fact and was easy to install and works great.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

The only possible downside is that, if you fish a lot of standing timber or need to turn quickly, the motorized response is not as fast as a cable unit. For trolling, can't be beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    The only possible downside is that, if you fish a lot of standing timber or need to turn quickly, the motorized response is not as fast as a cable unit. For trolling, can't be beat.

You are correct nothing is faster than a cable, but then with one of these you also don't have that darn cable on the deck in the way either. Also the response is faster with the wireless than with the foot control on these.

I would trade back for a cable unit now for anything and this lake is all timber pretty much as it was just National Forrest when it was filled up. Now a lot of trees have broken off, but still a lot of trees still here.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!