Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Help finding a product!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help finding a product!

Good moring all crappie.comers, I'm in need of some help finding a product that you put in ponds and small lakes, that makes the moss go away.
    I live on a small priave lake, and one side its deep anywhere from 25' to 30' and on the other side is shadow and on the shadow side is where my house is and the moss is already about to take over, I have heard there is a product that you can put on it that will kill it or eat it or whatever it does. So me and my neighbors have decided to go in together and put some on the shadow side if we can find it. Of course the best fishing right now is on the shadow side we have been catching alot of crappie there behind the house, and several good size bass, one 5 1/2 lb all bank fishing. But the moss is starting to get so bad you can't fish for it always hung in it.

So if anyone knows what this product is called and where you can purchase it please post it for me. Any information will be greatly appreciated, by me and all my nephews & nieces and can't for get the wife they love to fish here from the bank, and when every I can take them out in the Jon boat.

Thanks in advance:
    Kevin
    Last edited by Twobrokefarmer; 05-05-2008 at 08:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

We here are hoping our thick grass beds come back. The low water level over the last 4 years killed it off and now the fishing has changed so much. The grass is the one ting that will always tell you where the crappie are in the Spring and Fall.

Good Luck,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

there is a product called aqua blue which helps keep the sun out and thus gets rid of the weeds, but i agree with skiptomylu, and wouldn't recommend it for fishing reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

I would contact a fishery biologist and they can tell you what to use.They do it in ky and I'm not sure but think it does'nt cost anything.Personally I would put some grass carp in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Copper sulfate can me used to control moss & algae. You can Google copper sulfate algae control and find lots of information.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me get in there with my trollin motor for a couple of days. I'll clean it out for ya! HeeeeHeeee

Post Thanks / Like

How many grass carp would it take for a 35 to 40 acre lake ? I have talked to the game ward here and he says they don't do it around here for private lakes the owners are responsible for it.

So I will check in to the grass carp and the Copper Sulfate algae control.

I really hate to do anything to it but the moss is so bad on this side you can't fish from the bank for getting hung in it. Now when fishing from the Jon boat it ok. But I can't take 8 neices and nephews out in a Jon boat at one time so its easier to fish from the bank.
    Also I have sunk several crappie beds out about 25' from the bank and you can wear the crappie out right there some year round and expecially now while in shadow water.
    This lake don't ever drop it is spring fed. And it never floods it has a spillway at the deep in which runs off into sulffork creek.

Thanks for all the imputs.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

There's only one biological method of pond weed control in Texas: the triploid grass carp, he said.

Sometimes called the white amur, grass carp eat most submerged aquatic weeds. They cannot eat weeds that are on or project above the water surface, such cattails and lily pads.

Because it is feared the species might take over ponds and streams and crowd out game fish, only sterile, triploid grass carp are legal.

To purchase the fish, pond owners must get a permit from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. The species is only legally available from certified dealers.

Though sterile, the grass carp live as long as 10 years. Typically, Masser said, they control weeds for five to seven years, but are not effective for all species of weeds.

"This type of biological control is inexpensive from the standpoint of labor and chemical costs," Masser said. "Many pond owners, after years of frustration of trying to control aquatic weeds by other means, have found grass carp to be a simple and effective answer to their problems if stocked in sufficient numbers."

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small pond that I put 5 of those sterile grass carp in and I can tell you from my experience that they aren't worth a darn. Never did get rid of underwater weed problem. They are just a bunch of bull.