Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crank baits for crappie question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crank baits for crappie question.

I enjoy pulling crank baits but don't like the damage that two treble hooks sometimes does to the fish. I'm pretty sure I read on this board that some people remove the forward treble hook to alleviate damaging the fish. Am I remembering this correctly? I think I'm going to remove all the forward treble's on my cranks. I'd rather have a few get off then continue to damage fish.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Bamagill Guest

I took the front hook off of a rapala, because it was tearing the fish up like you are talking about. It didn't seem to swim right. So I found a smaller rapala that only has the trailing hook. It is about 1.5 inches and works pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some saltwater shows where they replace both trebles with singles to avoid hurting the fish and fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the single hook theory. I take a lot of my trebles off my Bandit 300 series crankbaits and put a single hook on it. I never cast crankbaits I just troll and I will occasionally miss some fish, but not as often as you might think.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

The single hook sounds like a possibility. What type and size hook are you using? I kept catching small crappie that I would let go. Here's a couple pic's of the smaller ones.

One that was 13"

One of three cats I caught.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp (red), size 2, and 4s, the hooks are straight, not tru-turn type. I haven't had too many problems with them. I am sure there are better ways, but this seems to work for me. I attach them directly to the existing rings on the baits. Watch the way you thread the hook onto the ring. Make sure the bend of the hook faces UP not DOWN or you'll be digging the hook from underneath their tongues all day.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.