Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: string of bad luck

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default string of bad luck

man, I have had the worst luck lately with breaking rods. Seems like every time I go fishing, I break a rod. Yesterday my buddy broke one. It always happens when we get hung up. Gatta figure out a better way to get the rod out of the holder and grab the line to break it off. Some of the breaks have happened when the wind was blowing really bad and I couldn't get the boat stopped quick enough. Then the rod breaks trying to get it out of the rod holder. Broke one rod on a 40 pound catfish. Broke one stepping on it(big feet). Broke one in the garage door(stupid). Broke one lifting in a big crappie (even more stupid). My wife is going to kill me when she knows how many rods I have broken,............... and bought. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by David Waters; 04-21-2005 at 10:09 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Done it. I went Ugly Stiks. they are a little stiff but they are the most durable I have found. lol MUDDY

Post Thanks / Like

I use Ugly Sticks also,haven't broke one yet.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

know what you mean broke a pole and a rod tip this weakin. guess i wil ahve to put them in rod box every time i moove to another spot . they sure git tangled up in it . thinking of making a bag like a umbrella cover. i have the equipment and the know how . now i need the time . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.storsit.com A great way to keep rods from tangling (Won't keep them out of the garage door or protect against trees that reach into the boat, though!). They let me fill up the one small rod box on my Champion Mean 16 without any tangling. They are rod "sheaths" ... available in different lengths... heaver material than the ones available at Cabela's. I ordered the shortest one for my 10' rod... can slide both sections in one sheath without removing the jig or hook.

Post Thanks / Like

That is why I went to casting reels, where the drag can be set and will keep it's setting. I have gotten hung in every situation you can imagine. Rods in the holders so tight, free spool has to be released to get them out. I have never broken a leader due to this pressure must less a rod, 14 and 12 ft Wally Marshall's. and 8 ABU Garcia 5000 AL's. Some people look at those reels and say " for crappie?" I say for stripers, catfish, rock ledges and brushpiles. They are of course tightline reels only.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I also use baitcasters. Recently went to 14 pound test, don't know if that is good or bad. I break off less, but don't know if those poles can handle it. I think a lot of the problem too is my heavy boat and getting it stopped fast enough. But, I am also clumsy I guess. I love the baitcasters, especially for the deep tighlining I do. I use 1oz sinkers to get it to the bottom fast. Talked to a guy the other day that was catfishing in 60 feet of water. He caught about 30 catsfish and 6 HUGE crappie. All females 15" plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Waters
    I also use baitcasters. Recently went to 14 pound test, don't know if that is good or bad. I break off less, but don't know if those poles can handle it. I think a lot of the problem too is my heavy boat and getting it stopped fast enough. But, I am also clumsy I guess. I love the baitcasters, especially for the deep tighlining I do. I use 1oz sinkers to get it to the bottom fast. Talked to a guy the other day that was catfishing in 60 feet of water. He caught about 30 catsfish and 6 HUGE crappie. All females 15" plus.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You apparently fish deeper water than I do. I Generally use 1/2 or 3/4 oz sinker on a Capps and Coleman rig with a 10 lb. line on the reel. I have actually had the rods turn the boat, but like I say, the drag set for the 10 lb. test kicks in. I am not quick to the rods either. When you are my age you are not quick to anything unless it is an opinion. I don't understand how they can take the pressure and not snap, but it is not tip pressure, it is pressure over the whole rod. Now tell me for true, 3 lb crappies 30 ft. deep in April?? Where was this? I'll get out my jigging spoons.

Post Thanks / Like

Wilson Lake. There is a Crappie USA tournament this weekend here on Pickwick and Wilson. The only toruble with these fish are keeping them alive. Bringing them up from those depths they die very quickly. But, they eventually have to move up to spawn. Also, because the water is so deep, the temps are much much cooler, thus they spawn later than surrounding lakes. Also, very clear water. But we caught some males just the other day in 12 feet casting jigs. So they should be moving up very very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I've been thinking about layering certain lengths of pvc in the box and make it into a proper rod holder box where there is no carpet to get hung on and no rods touch each other atleast at the tips. I lay a towel over all the reels to stop rubbing and stuff to them. Seems like something like mine or yours david shoud have been created by now, I knows theres some good portable rod racks but I doubt they are too good for 12'-16' rods. Mine just fit length wise in my storage but I put them in one at a time and have to take them out 2 at a time because they are stuck togther lol

P.s Good luck with the tournament if you fish it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast