Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missed the jig now what?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Missed the jig now what?

I know this may sound like I'm over thinking jig fishing(I'm sure I am) but what do you do if you have a Fish blast the jig & you wiff on the hook set?

often I am too close to just drop the jig & lift it onece more to get another try so I have started throwing a fallow up jig of another color & almost always does the trick
    I also have thought about ploping a live minnow under a float

I know I sound like I'm nuts but I'm trying to learn as much as I can in hopes of fishing tournaments next year
    PROUD BUCKEYE CARP ANGLER

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Gary ...

Quote Originally Posted by Garyoutlaw View Post
    I know this may sound like I'm over thinking jig fishing(I'm sure I am) but what do you do if you have a Fish blast the jig & you wiff on the hook set?
    often I am too close to just drop the jig & lift it onece more to get another try so I have started throwing a fallow up jig of another color & almost always does the trick
    I know I sound like I'm nuts but I'm trying to learn as much as I can in hopes of fishing tournaments next year
    Having a follow-up rig is always a good idea, especially if you find them short striking ... or if you have hits but miss on the hookset. I'd even consider having a smaller bait on my follow-up rod. Even the same rod/bait, thrown back into the strike area, but retrieved slower, might be a good alternative.

That being said, I can't really remember any instances similar to what you're describing. When I see or feel a hit, light or hard, I rarely seem to miss getting a hookup. How fast are you retrieving this jig, and what kind of jig (jighead/plastic, hair, marabou, feather) ?? And what size/weight ?? I generally use a 1/16oz weedless jighead with a plastic body ... and I catch even the 4-8" dinks that hit. I can't imagine having one "blast it", and not get a hookup

Are you sure they're Crappie (visual sighting) that are "blasting" your bait ?? Sometimes Sunfish, White Bass, Yellow Bass, and other fish are hitting your bait, even in the same area where you're catching Crappie. Could this be the case ?? I've rarely known Crappie to slam a bait, even during casting to a school of them. Slow retrieved baits (swimming the jig) usually get a "tic" or "thump" kind of strike ... constant retrieved baits (roadrunner/whirlybee types) strikes are usually indicated by just "getting heavy" (rod bends).

Luck2ya ... in your tournament pursuit !!

... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Downsize and fish it slower. If that does not work, make a subtle color change and fish it at the same depth until you redefine a pattern that is working. The most important thing is to HAVE CONFIDENCE in your lure and presentation.

I may start off with 1/16th jigs depending on the depth of water I am fishing. I promise you I will always have a rod rigged with 1/32nds nearby. Also a double jig rig is another nice option so that you can fish the water column at two different depths and offer two different and contrasting colors which will help define a pattern for you on what is working for the conditions you are fishing at that time. Conditions may be different an hour later. When the bite slows down, you must change something.....for example...change location, presentation, color, size, boat. ... etc.

Hope this helps some. SLOW DOWN and HAVE CONFIDENCE. Above all just KEEP ON GOING OUT and FISHING.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 05-04-2008 at 07:10 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You da-man Shipahoy!

Now you went everybody know how!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob # 1 View Post
    You da-man Shipahoy!

Now you went everybody know how!
    YEPPIR :D I'm just an old whippersnapper who has been around the block a few times and then some. :D:D:D:D

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    YEPPIR :D I'm just an old whippersnapper who has been around the block a few times and then some. :D:D:D:D
    Shipahoy
    We have had this discussion before in private PM's
    both of us have came to the conclusion that you are not
    "Old whilppersnapper" by no means.

So quit trying to gain sympathy from the younger generation, and go wet your line
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Bob,

You are just an "older whippersnapper" :D :D :D and a great friend. Isn't it great to be in our "Whippersnapper" years! Fish on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyoutlaw View Post

I see most have given you plenty of info, but I will add one more thing. When you are catching some fish and some are getting off or you are missing some that is one of the times color can make a big difference. If you are hooking them in the lips and such you are almost there. If they are what I call eating the jig (meaning the jig is hooking them deep in their mouths) you know it's the right color and size. SO the next time they are short striking or barley getting hoked try the same jig in a different color to see if they will start eating it.

When they are really eating the jig well you wont have to worry about missing many.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ship, you could never deny that you were an educator. I enjoy your posts, and thanx for the smarts you pass along. Tim
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Ship, you could never deny that you were an educator. I enjoy your posts, and thanx for the smarts you pass along. Tim
    You're welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast