Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking of giving up on fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default thinking of giving up on fishing?

about a month ago i came real clost to selling my boat and tackle and just giving up. but thanks to the people on this fourm, i still have my boat and i have since bought some new tackle.
    people get in the mindset that if you go fishing, you will catch fish and that is just not true. day after day of getting the boat ready, driving to the lake, fishing all day and not catching anything takes its toll on anybody and to be honest it sucks. but everyone has to keep in mind that all the magazine articles and all the fishing videos do not tell the truth. they don't tell about how many days fishing it took to make that video, or how mutch of the article is actually true. NO ONE can go fishing every day and catch a fish on every cast, but in all honisty that's what we are all trying to do, isn't it? when we hear people telling about their bad days, it actually helps the fisherman going through a bad slump realize that i am not the only one having trouble.
    when you get to the poing of quitting try this. take your boat out into the middle of the lake, shut off the engine, put down you rod, turn off anything that makes a sound, tell your buddy to shut up, stand up and take a GOOD look around. how many people do you see walking and talking on a cell phone? how many phone rings do you hear? how many people can you see sitting at the nearest red light waiting on that green that never seems to come quick enough? are you dressed for work or are you dressed the way you like to dress? are you looking through a windshield at a car in front of you that is not going fast enough? the answer to all the questions is a big fat NO. now you realize that this is not just a fishing trip this is a vacation a mental vacation, even if it is just a few hours. listen to the birds, hear that fish jump breaking the surface of the water, fishermen don't always admidt it but catching fish is not the only reason we go fishing, we go to get away. you just need to take a moment to put things in perspective every now an then. the only good reason to sell you boat and tackle is if you can honestly say "i don't enjoy going fishing anymore" that's it, their is no other answer. for all of you (me included) who from time to time have a bad day GET OVER IT it's just a slump, you will come out of it sooner or later, and boy when we do you will think "why in the world was i thinking of giving up"
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been in a looooong slump, but i still love to fish. Never have "figured 'em out". Probably never will. Love reading the posts by the guys that do know how to catch 'em (cane pole, bob, etc. the list is long). Had i not found this site, I may have been one of those guys selling my "gear" on craigslist or ebay. Thanks to this site and your "sermon" (if i may call it that fish-wva) I will continue to pursue those illusive speckled critters and drive my wife crazy by sittin' on the computer looking at that "crappie website". Thanks for the thread "fish-wva"
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

You made some good points. But really, if you are thinking about giving up fishing, maybe you better get back on your meds!

I get depressed NOT fishing. Really. Depressed and I'm not joking. I NEED to have the next trip planned. I'm living through the week sometimes just knowing come a few days, I'm back out there.

Trips are the best, a few days when there is nothing to do but fish, eat, drink, and you know, take care of business up on the bank now and then. It is pure heaven.

And you are right, sometimes you just need to reel in the bait, get out in the middle of the lake, turn the motor off and just realize, there is no other place on earth you would rather be.

I had a moment a couple months ago I will never forget....closed out the texas duck season on the last day, after I had got my ducks for the day...pulled out into the middle of the lake, cracked open a cold Lone Star, and watched the sun go down over the cove that had just treated me so well. If there is heaven on earth, that was it.

The real paradise can only be awesome, when I have moments on earth like that!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I am not an expert by any means, but I fish local lakes a lot that I know a few things about. I used to have SLUMPS when I didn't catch hardly anything, but I enjoyed going and being there enough that I didn't give up. I have a few tips that could help you, might not.

1. Don't be afraid to try new techniques even if you aren't an expert. When it comes to crappie I would just about try any technique a time or two. I am not an expert at any of them, but I try most all of them at different times. Tightling trolling, Vertical Trolling, Long-Line trolling, Vertical jigging, Pitching cover, Bobbers etc... All these techniques have times and places and you will learn them. Be patient when trying them. I know when I first learned to Spider-Rig I fished for better then 2 days without the first bite. And most of that time I spent untangling lines. I stuck with it and changed depths and speeds enough that I finally found the fish. I still believe this is one of the best ways to fish new waters. I was absolutely terrible to start and it was hard work the first few times. Now I know when the bite is slow I can go to this method and usually find some nice fish. Be patient though. It will be a nightmare before it rewards you. Once you learn how to do something though, no one can ever take that from you.

2. Cover more water, but pay attention to where you catch fish. I find that once I find Crappie in the spring they stay relatively close to that area throughout the season. They might move deeper and suspend, but they are generally in the same area. I fish the same cove at my local lake all year long. With tips from the guys on here, I seem to stay on the fish. I can usually give these guys the pattern that I have been catching fish and they can tell me different techniques to try. There is VAST knowledge on this forum.

3. *IMPORTANT* I believe it's true that 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish. I have kept a log book now for the past couple of years. I write down anything that could effect fishing. I start with the Month, Air Temp and water temp. When I am really struggling to catch fish I will pull this book out. I hate to do it, but it works EVERY SINGLE TIME if I am not catching them. I find the situations that best match that day and try the techniques that have worked in the past. If I had to catch fish to SAVE MY LIFE I would get out my log book before I even launch the boat. Some days are just slower then others, but I can't remember the last time I didn't catch enough fish to bring home since I started this log book. This is my best piece of tackle on my boat. It takes 5 minutes when you are finished, but rewards you greatly when you are struggling.

The last thing I can tell you. I was mostly a bobber fisherman until I started learning from some of the guys on here. I hardly ever use a bobber in a boat anymore. The only time I might use one, is when the fish are shallow and I can't keep my jig from falling past them. I fish alot and the guys on here really know what they are talking about. I don't ask a lot of questions, but when I ask one, they are quick to give me some different techniques to try.

PM me and tell me what kinda situations you are running into on the water. Maybe I can find something for you to try.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joewildlife View Post
    You made some good points. But really, if you are thinking about giving up fishing, maybe you better get back on your meds!

I get depressed NOT fishing. Really. Depressed and I'm not joking. I NEED to have the next trip planned. I'm living through the week sometimes just knowing come a few days, I'm back out there.

Trips are the best, a few days when there is nothing to do but fish, eat, drink, and you know, take care of business up on the bank now and then. It is pure heaven.

And you are right, sometimes you just need to reel in the bait, get out in the middle of the lake, turn the motor off and just realize, there is no other place on earth you would rather be.

I had a moment a couple months ago I will never forget....closed out the texas duck season on the last day, after I had got my ducks for the day...pulled out into the middle of the lake, cracked open a cold Lone Star, and watched the sun go down over the cove that had just treated me so well. If there is heaven on earth, that was it.

The real paradise can only be awesome, when I have moments on earth like that!

Joe
    Wow, that was truly an incredible post. You put in perfect words, the spirit of hunting and fishing.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Paper mo. legend how miuch you want for that book?
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

Well said fish-wva. The catchin is the bonus, the fun is the learning and getting out and trying what we learn and just enjoying being out there. This site is loaded with info and the people here I think are the most helpful of any site I have been to. Most of the time, don't have to ask because it's already there somewhere. Thanks for a great site and to all you good people..

Post Thanks / Like

My friends and I use to night fish every weekend for bass way back in the late 60' and 70's. The only time we didn't was during hunting season and besides I didn't like winter fishing so much anyway.

The best part was just getting out on the water and soaking in the stars and the whole thing about being out on the lake with no phones (back then anyway), not bills, no bill collectors, etc. Catching the fins was a huge bonus really and we did catch our share, but also had our share of tough nights, but never wanted to stop doing that. For a good number of years we had this huge lake to our selves pretty much. I mean there were a few crappie fishermen tied up to a tree with a light, but no bass anglers that were night fishing yet. It took probably 5-6 years before we had to share when the found out about night fishing for bass. It was great!

I still feel the same way about fishing and the old saying "a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work" is still true. So take time to enjoy the things around fishing and don't just measure it by how many fish you catch.

Anyway that is my 2 cents,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy's, you all have hit it on the head! This is way they call it (fishing) and not catching. The day's where no fish are biting are sometimes the best, I know for myself I can look around and enjoy what God has gave us. You hear of so many people that never make it home at the end of the day, what would they have done with there last day? Enjoy everyday like it is your last. Never quite fishing just start enjoying fishing.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Remember to enjoy being outdoors. Sometimes I am so focused on fishing, I forget about everything else around me. I make myself stop fishing and look and listen to nature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast