Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I ready to sell out

Post Thanks / Like

Default I ready to sell out

6 hours, marked tons of fish, threw every hand made jig I own, and one 34 inch northern to show for it!
    I don't know, kind of get discouraged. But it don't matter,,,, I was fishin.

The wind was howling out of the east just after a cold front. I suspect that may have had something to do with it.

How do you folks deal with an east wind?
    It's a saying that's been going on forever. "Winds from the east. Fish bite the least."
    What's your thoughts? Beside the slowing down and going smaller approach?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry can't answer cause east winds tend to deliver skunks
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Catch bait on those day's? I cant really answer that one.I do know they dont bite much with a east wind though.I been fishing for 30 yrs and im curious to see the answer to this one.

Post Thanks / Like

How were you fishing the jigs?

I find in an east wind the crappies want to study a bait before hitting and you need to place the jig right in the strike zone and wait till they are good and ready to hit. If the jig doesn't sit right in the strike zone for long enough they will just let it float right by. Also, I think those condition are the most color sensitive conditions. I try significantly different sizes and color patterns. Black, red, green, blue heads, dark colored headed jigs then yellow, pink, all white, light colored headed jigs, then natural colors from clear/glitter to smoke glitter. They will often only hit in one category and then best on a specific combo color in that category. Helps to have several people fishing different colors to see what they want.

You might also want to try a different jig design like BPS crappie beavers or very large baits like 3 inch grubs, even 4's once in a while. Some days you just have to throw the kitchen sink at them before you hit the right size, color, presentation combo. Its part of what I love about crappie fishing. Some days its an jigsaw puzzle to figure out.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good answer Grizz.All I can say is you have alot more patience than me.I guess that's why it's called fishing not catching.I understand fish will bit in an east wind I'ts just I'm not determined enough to do it much.I have thrown the kitchen sink,heck all the plumbing in my house with little success in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

When the wind is out of the east I go to the dam on the lake that I fish the most. The dam is on the east end of the lake and usually do fairly well. On the lakes that the Dam is on the west end of the lake I will usually go to the creek channels then. I usually will use live bait at those times.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipped Cork View Post
    Very good answer Grizz.All I can say is you have alot more patience than me.I guess that's why it's called fishing not catching.I understand fish will bit in an east wind I'ts just I'm not determined enough to do it much.I have thrown the kitchen sink,heck all the plumbing in my house with little success in the past.
    lol - Yeah me too. Still fun though.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the old saying, East winds the least and West is the Best, South blow it in their mouth and don't remember North, LOL!

We all have days like that.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

The mind is a terrible thing to waste skip.I cant remember it either lol.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Something like this .....

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    What is the old saying, East winds the least and West is the Best, South blow it in their mouth and don't remember North, LOL!

We all have days like that.

Skip

Winds from the East - Fish bite the least
    Winds from the West - Fish bite the best
    Winds from the South - Blows the bait into their mouth
    Winds from the North - don't venture forth

... cp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast