Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Opinions on our "spawn" out west

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on our "spawn" out west

After suffering through years of drought, our lakes took in huge amounts of water this year from the heavy winter rains. That's a great thing in the long run but the added nutrients into the lakes has made for some real odd fishing.

For this question I'll use Roosevelt for discussion.

Roosevelt went from 7000 acres to 20000 and its still rising. The lake is a super crappie lake that has no limits and average fish size of 2 pounds. It is not unusual to catch 100 fish a day over 3 pounds when the fishing is full on. This year started out like all others with an armada of boats trolling in 18 to 24 feet of water over a school of fish 3 miles across. Then the rains! That very same spot is now 115 feet deep and thousands of acres of bushes and trees are now under water for the fist time. We all know the typical spawn pattern for crappie starts once the water temps hit 60 to 65 and often occurs close to the full moon. The problem is, that was a long time ago around here. The water temps are now above 72 and still no crappie spawn. A few males are being caught close to shore right now but the females seem to be long gone. The males are not beat up as typical post spawn. The bass spawned mostly last month. We are going to try it agin this full moon but are not expecting much.

Has anyone else seen this behavior before, and what's your bet's on when/if the spawn happens.

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

I have to believe they spawned when the temperature was right. The spawn may not have survived the water rise. I don't know if the fish lose their eggs or if the eggs just dry up when the water rises so fast over the male nest that the females won't lay. I know that with all that new water you will need a good spawn to keep the lbs per acre the same. 2 lb. average, boy I am in the wrong section of the country.

Post Thanks / Like

We considered that possibility along with the spawn happening but being long and drawn out with a few fish here and there doing their thing, but there are daily reports coming in still from the regulars of one or two fish each day and all females being full of eggs and ready to burst. They have been this way for over 6 weeks now, but not coming shallow to spawn and not grouping up over deep structure either.
    Maybe they are going to re-obsorb the eggs like striper do if they can't find moving water to spawn in. Conditions where/are perfect for them to hit the nests, they just aren't.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told, if the lake is above normal pool during the spawn. The fish sense this and will not spawn at the water line. They will pull back and spawn where they normally would spawn. So if the lakes is 4 foot over pool, fish in 5 to 6 foot of water and 10 to 15 out from the bank (depends on the slope of the bank).
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

i`m with whizkids the temps have to be rightand with the water still coming up that want help either.a crappie will usually go back to the same place to spawn and if it was in 3ft last year and is in 40ft this year she most likely want spawn.i live on a lake where they let the water come up one day and down the next and i have seen it happen.the crappie would hold there eggs until there body use them up for food.if you are catching 300 lbs aday i need to come up your way.hey whizkids when do you want to go,im ready when you are.dang thats hard to shallow 300lbs in aday,hell i`ll just take two or three of the 3lbers aday.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a fresh report from the local guide that when he was trying to load on the trailor solid balck males where jumping out of the water all around the ramp. I sure hope this is a sign that the full moon spawn we have been waiting on is coming finaly.

You really should come out here and fish Roosevelt when its on. I've fished crappie all over and there is no where quite like it. Think about it, the fish have all year to eat and grow. No ice here, never! Our best day last year was 190 fish between two guys and only a few were under the 2 pound mark. This year we had 75 one day in Dec while trolling and have only caught 4 since in 12 trips.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still not really convinced that the moon phase has much to do with the crappie spawning cycle. I am convinced it is all about water temperature and conditions as well.

I don't know much about bream, but everything I hear about them is more related to the moon phases.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

The movement to spawning areas are started by the lengthening of the days. The water temp determines when the actual spawning occurs. Actual spawning can occur anytime the water gets over 65 degrees, usually low 70's according to Ernest Paty, a Texas crappie Guide. Depth varies depending on water clarity and conditions. I'm not sure how that much rising water will effect the spawn but I do know that crappie will spawn deeper in clear water. I read a post by Ernest made this week last year that most of the fish he was catching still had not spawned. This year is running behind due to cooler weather. If the males don't show signs of being post spawn you might be in luck but I just don't know how that much water will effect them. They may not spawn at all. If that happens the eggs are absorbed back into the body over time as I understand it. I've heard of Roosevelt. Saw Keith Warren shoot a crappie fishing show there last year.