PDA

View Full Version : Shimano or Johnny Morris

QUAKEnSHAKE
05-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Well I think its down to these two Shimano Stradic FI 1000 vs Johnny Morris Sig series 1000 (aka JM)
Anybody happen to have both?
Or any reason to chose one over the other.
******Price well I have a 20% off coupon for Stradic so $130. The JM is $100 no coupon. Price non issue
****The JM -11 bearings & a braid specific spool. Spool is what caught my attention.
Stradic well the Shimano name/reputation and those feature names ie Aero Wrap, Palidin System and its new spool-lip design.
Reliability I would like 2 seasons of use at least before I get the itch to buy again.
**Ive not owned either brand before
Thanks for any input advice opinions or "if it was me" responses
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=96667&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults or
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98312_100001002_100000000_100001000?cm_ven =bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=98312&cm_ite=image_link

DADAKOTA
05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Neither. Buy a Quantum Pt 10 Kinetic. You can get two for the price of one of yours. I've been using mine for over three years and have never had a single problem. They also handle Power-Pro exceptionally well. Smoooooooooth.

QUAKEnSHAKE
05-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Well that was quick :)
Im sort of wanting to treat myself for my 10 year anniversary. It will be paired with a $180
St. Croix Avid 8' rod (AVS80MLM2).
I do own a Quantum spinning reel and would like to try different brand.
Thank You

ky-slabseeker
05-02-2008, 07:51 AM
You won't regret the Stradic if you get it......;)

TreednNC
05-02-2008, 07:57 AM
You won't regret the Stradic if you get it......;)

x2

Trihull
05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Shimano is the only way to go. I have a JM bait caster and never again.

Eager Beaver
05-02-2008, 11:19 AM
It sounds like you just want to spend a lot of money for something that a $30.00 combo will do. Just because it is expensive doesn't mean it will catch any more fish. If you want to spend money to catch fish, spend it on knowledge! Like Mr. Paty's video tape for $15.00 compared to some out there for $50.00 or more. You will get just as much if not more knowledge from his video at the others. (jmo) I have never gone wrong with Shimano TX1000 reels or the Quantum Optix op10f. I prefer the front drag as compared to the rear drag.

Crappie Chaser
05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Most of my reels (baitcasters & open-faced spinning) are Shimano. They make great quality reels and thats all I would buy. They're smooth and never breaks...at least for me anyway.

green80
05-02-2008, 10:04 PM
I bought the stradic 1000fi 2 months ago and it is the best crappie reel I have ever fished with. The more you use it the more you will appreciate the difference. Sure a $30 reel will catch fish but after you use the stradic you won't go back to anything else.

GRIZZ
05-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Before you buy the stradic, dry fire the bail trip a few times. Open the bail, slowly move the handle till it stops. Then try to close the bail using the handle. I have had several new stradics in my hands and I think they have a real design problem on their hands with this new stradic. At that point every one I have had in my hands locks up so bad it has to damage the reel. There is no way a reel that does that is going to last very long. Its too bad too, because the rest of the new reel is just stellar. I was thinking of picking up one of the new stradic, but ever since I ran into that problem I would never want one until they resolve that problem, and its a big one.

I know I'm going to get a few people that will say that I should flip the bail with my hand to save the bail spring, but that isn't true. Speak to the company reps and they will tell you that bail spring components of modern quality spinning reels should last the lifetime of the reel flipping the bail only using the handle.

I use strictly spinning gear, and I really put reels through the ringer. I rarely flip the bail by hand and have had reels for 5-10 years without ever having to repair the bail tripping mechanisms. I am talking about quality reels here in the $80-150 range. If I have a reel fail its always the main gears, line roller, or the anti reverse that fails or wears out.

What other reels besides the BPS reel and the stradic have to tried?

Don G
05-03-2008, 07:28 AM
I have used Shimano reels & St Croix rods for years...Never had a problem with either...Most of my rods are equipped with the Shimano Symetre 750 which is an excellent reel...The body however is composite which has not been a problem...All the bigger Symetres have metal bodies...

Just to try a new reel I am buying a US Reel SX 180...I have heard a lot of good things about this reel...If anyone has used one please let me know..

lag
05-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I have a lot of different kinds of reels. Two of my favorite are the Shimano Symetre. I have a 750 and a 1000. Both are on Shimano reels. I have been using them for quite some time and they are great. Both are on 7 ft rods and have 4 and 6 lb line. I use the smaller one for casting jigs. The larger I use mostly for night SM fishing in the river. (what little I do now anyway) Someone said that the price was bad but I have found over the years that the better equipment lasts the longest and performs the best. I don't usually buy the top of the line, like the $250 spinning reels, but the high middle. Back in 66 or 67 I bought a Browning silaflex rod. It cost me about $40 bucks. I was probably making about 2.50 an hour then and that was a lot of money. The movers broke it in 1999. I had used it all that time. I haven't used the BP reel so I can't comment. I also don't have one of the new models. Mine are 5 or six years old. Shimano has been a really good reel for me overall. And son, if you can afford it and want it, go for it.

Smoky
05-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I've got 6 shimano calcutta baitcasters. One recently went kapoot and I sent it in the BPS for repair...shimano doesn't carry the part I need for repair...so much for shimanos for me in the future! What's funny....shimano still sells calcutta's. What's up with that?

Illinoisgiller
05-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I suggest you go to the Bass Pro site. Find the Jonny Morris reel and click on the reviews. There are drag an bearing issues with some.
As a side note I was considering a reel from Bass Pro that was large spool narrow body. I think they called it an Extreme. I though it would increase casting distance. After reading the reviews I found that it does help distance, but the gears were junk. Now reviews are the first place I go for unproven products. I like my Symetres. Sedona's aren't bad either. Mike

CrappiePappy
05-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I've got 6 shimano calcutta baitcasters. One recently went kapoot and I sent it in the BPS for repair...shimano doesn't carry the part I need for repair...so much for shimanos for me in the future! What's funny....shimano still sells calcutta's. What's up with that?

What Calcutta do you have, and what part needs replacing :confused:
You might find it easier to find the part and fix it yourself, than sending it somewhere. Check this out, and see if the part is available here : http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/index.php?cPath=21_41
If not, I know of another repair business that might be able to fix it for you ;)

.... cp :cool:

QUAKEnSHAKE
05-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Before you buy the stradic, dry fire the bail trip a few times. Open the bail, slowly move the handle till it stops. Then try to close the bail using the handle. I have had several new stradics in my hands and I think they have a real design problem on their hands with this new stradic. At that point every one I have had in my hands locks up so bad it has to damage the reel. There is no way a reel that does that is going to last very long. Its too bad too, because the rest of the new reel is just stellar. I was thinking of picking up one of the new stradic, but ever since I ran into that problem I would never want one until they resolve that problem, and its a big one.

I know I'm going to get a few people that will say that I should flip the bail with my hand to save the bail spring, but that isn't true. Speak to the company reps and they will tell you that bail spring components of modern quality spinning reels should last the lifetime of the reel flipping the bail only using the handle.

I use strictly spinning gear, and I really put reels through the ringer. I rarely flip the bail by hand and have had reels for 5-10 years without ever having to repair the bail tripping mechanisms. I am talking about quality reels here in the $80-150 range. If I have a reel fail its always the main gears, line roller, or the anti reverse that fails or wears out.

What other reels besides the BPS reel and the stradic have to tried?

I did try the Stradic and noticed the same thing about the bail being very difficult to close. I thought that might get better with use. Im not fond of closing it by hand either-- Hmmm? Is this ONLY with the Stradic or the whole line-up?

As far as trying others well its been mostly catalog shopping havent reelly :) tried out any others.
I bought a Pflueger underspin 1806 about a month ago and it seems fine so far. Im beginning to think that the St Croix rod will be paired with that until I can actually get my hands on others.
Thanks to All

poppop
05-03-2008, 06:31 PM
good website...crappie pappy....I just recently ordered a bail spring from Mikes...on an old Daiwa that is about 25 years old.

GRIZZ
05-05-2008, 12:25 AM
I did try the Stradic and noticed the same thing about the bail being very difficult to close. I thought that might get better with use. Im not fond of closing it by hand either-- Hmmm? Is this ONLY with the Stradic or the whole line-up?

As far as trying others well its been mostly catalog shopping havent reelly :) tried out any others.
I bought a Pflueger underspin 1806 about a month ago and it seems fine so far. Im beginning to think that the St Croix rod will be paired with that until I can actually get my hands on others.
Thanks to All

I'm not sure if the other new reels do that as well. So far, I haven't seen any. What gets me is a company like Shimano puts all that effort into making a killer reel like that new stradic. I really wanted one and then the first 5 reels I test have a defect you don't find in $30 reels. Its disappointing.

As alternatives in that quality range I suggest Daiwa Tierra Advantage or Sol, Pflueger Supreme or Supreme XT, Okuma VS, Quantum Catalyst. I find the hard to say because I have never been a Pflueger fan, but I have been itching to try a Supreme XT. The other reel I have been hearing walks on water is the Daiwa Sol. Itchin to try that too.

Fatman
05-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Hands down no question SHIMANO!!!!!!! I've got Shimano's that are 15 to 20 years old and have only ever sent two back for replacement (one was totally my own fault and they replaced it anyway).

I've never had a problem with the bail's not flipping back, Maybe somebody on the line put the wrong size spool on the wrong reel???

Fatman

QUAKEnSHAKE
05-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I did get the Stradic. Yes in the exact instance of slowly putting the bail right next to the cam then trying to close bail, is somewhat difficult. I tried this on my Quantum reel and the effort is harder also. BUT if opening the bail then reeling-in normally (not very slowly stopping at the cam) it flips closed very easily/smoothly. Ill see how it fairs after/under some use. DICK"S sporting has 90 day return policy if Im not happy with it.
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1821/10964810/19495850/316140536.jpg

GRIZZ
05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I was at FISH.USA today and had them pull a few reels out for me to try out including the new Stradic again and the Saros to see if the other Shimanos did the same thing. I once again found that the reel locked up if you slowly move the reel to the flip point after the bail is opened. I sat there and discussed it with the guy helping me for a while and he said he had never noticed that before and had never had a reel returned for that reason.

After quite a lot of messing around we came to the conclusion that as long as you have a little momentum its not a problem, and the reel likely breaks in after some use and becomes easier to trip. In my opinion its still a design problem they should work on. I tried several other companies reels the same way and none locked up like that, and if they did the reels easily tripped with a little pressure unlike the Stradics which required quite an effort comparatively once it was locked up.

I still think its a great reel, but I would have to buy one and use it for a while before I changed my mind about this being a major problem.

One thing I must say is that the more I have Daiwas new reels in my hands the more I think it is now the best designed and manufactured reel out there. Amazingly fluid and smooth, fantastic bail trip and drag, and low weight. From the lower cost Regal XiA, to the Excelor, Tierra, Advantage, Sol, Fuego and Steez I have never handled a better line up of outstanding reels.

crappielimits
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
The reason it is hard to close the bail by the reel is, because this is the improper way to use the reel. Never close a spinning reel by turning the handle it binds whatever type spring is in the bail and eventually breaks it! Always close the bail with your hand and make it a habit to put the line in the roller too. This will stop loop problems too.

crappielimits
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Oh and Shimano is the only way to go.

GRIZZ
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
The reason it is hard to close the bail by the reel is, because this is the improper way to use the reel. Never close a spinning reel by turning the handle it binds whatever type spring is in the bail and eventually breaks it! Always close the bail with your hand and make it a habit to put the line in the roller too. This will stop loop problems too.

I know I'm repeating myself, and I don't mean to offend, but that is wrong. After talking to company reps from Daiwa, Shimano and Okuma I have been told several times that these new reels are designed and intended to have the bail closed by turning the handle, not by hand. Not that closing by hand is wrong, its just that these bail trips and new bail springs are designed to last the lifetime of the reel without hand closing the bail.

Since companies went away from the saftey pin type of bail springs to the high quality coil type of bail springs they have been able to produce a spring that virtually never wears out. The only reel company that I am aware of that intends you to hand flip the bail is Van Staal, and maybe a few obscure European reels.

crappielimits
05-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Good luck withthe knots Grizz! Our Shimano rep is a friend of mine and we have watch several customers in the store and chuckled as they swore by closing the bail with the reel. As for the coil springs you are right they do last longer, though not forever and are only on the more expensive reels. If you do not put the line in the roller it will start out loose going on the spool. I wish you good fishing!

Slipped Cork
05-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Take your money and treat yourself to a great day of fishing and leave your wife at home!She will get over it in a few day's but a fishing memory last a lifetime.Wife's are a dime a dozen,anyone got a nickel?

wwwUncle
05-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Good luck withthe knots Grizz! Our Shimano rep is a friend of mine and we have watch several customers in the store and chuckled as they swore by closing the bail with the reel. As for the coil springs you are right they do last longer, though not forever and are only on the more expensive reels. If you do not put the line in the roller it will start out loose going on the spool. I wish you good fishing!

I think the rep knew your preference and was just humoring you. I get a laugh out of this ongoing issue (close mostly with the handle myself- since my first reel back in the 60's- never a problem). And, if the reel maker intends you to close the bail by hand (warranty issues you know)- they need to put it in the instructions or - better yet- make so it can only be closed by hand.

GRIZZ
05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I think the rep knew your preference and was just humoring you. I get a laugh out of this ongoing issue (close mostly with the handle myself- since my first reel back in the 60's- never a problem). And, if the reel maker intends you to close the bail by hand (warranty issues you know)- they need to put it in the instructions or - better yet- make so it can only be closed by hand.

Good point uncle. It wasn't my intention to make an issue out of this. Its just that I run into this more than you would think, even with experienced spinning anglers. In my mind its the equivalent of people using spinning reels upside down and reeling backwards and then claiming they were designed to be used that way. I don't care if people want to close the bail by hand, just don't go around telling people reels are designed that way. I seriously doubt that closing it by hand your extending the life of the bail spring anyways, because the spring still goes through the exact same process whether you close it by hand or with the handle. There is a mechanical trip that actually starts the bail over then the spring keeps it going and holds the bail closed. Closing by hand doesn't really save the spring at all though it may save some wear on the trip. Still, trips are designed to last the lifetime of the reel these days.

As far as knots are concerned, thats another case for using higher quality reels. Though I don't understand all the intricacies of the technology and design of the actual bail wire and line rollers, the better reels have developed systems that minimize loops and knots beside having oscillating spools. Also, I have found over the years that catching the line with your index finger at the end of the cast before the lure lands, then tripping the bail tightens the line before it is laid into the spool and mainly eliminates loops. Its quit simple and becomes mindless habit very quickly. I don't think there is a way to totally eliminate line twist and occasional loops with spinning gear, but I have found that using quality modern reels and catching the line with my index finger typically makes embedded loops a rarity.

Limits - I'm not aware of any spinning reels, even the cheap ones that don't use coiled springs now. Reel companies use near identical designs throughout their reel lineups. With the better reels they just use better materials and add more bearings and a few higher tech features. Its one of the reasons that the mid grade reels, as in the $80-150 reels, are really close in quality compared to the reels that are $500-600. The Steez really is a special reel though. Now that I have had both Stella's and Steez's in my hands, the Steez really stands out as the best reel made right now.

joejv4
05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm gonna be an oddball here and recommend both methods of closing the bail.

When it's windy and I'm throwing light baits, I flip it by hand and don't get the wind-loops. When it's not windy, or I'm fishing heavier baits, I let the reel do it for me. The other time I flip it back by hand is after the trip wears out and that's the only way to flip it closed. You see, I'm C-H-E-A-P and will use the inexpensive reels I buy until the gears or the drag goes belly up. I generally get 5 to 10 years out of a $25-$30 reel.

Not that I wouldn't like to buy the more expensive ones, I just can't justify the price vs. what you get with an extra couple ball bearings, or eliminating the 1/2 of a degree of play in handle in the anti-reverse. Nice things to have, but for a recreational fisherman like me... I don't need those things, so I can't justify spending that kind of money (makes more sense to me to put that money into lures in my tackle box). Just my 2 cents.

QUAKEnSHAKE
05-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Well I really like the discussion so far.
My reel though was a DUD:(
It made a noticeable shhhhhhh friction type of sound while reeling. I took the spool off and rotor off. I oiled the spool-shaft and the metal rotor ring and oil in the port-hole still made this sound. On my way back from fishing today stopped at the store and checked others for this sound they didnt have it. I exchanged with one that didnt have this sound. I dont have a clue what made the sound but all is well.

Locator79
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
I would like to add my 2 cents worth, but I cant afford either.

DerQ
05-05-2012, 01:24 PM

I know this is an ancient thread, but I was just going to mention, in case an of the original posters were still reading, that I just bought a Pfluger Supreme. In the instruction book, it pretty clearly instructs you to start reeling to close the bail in two different parts of the manual.

btw, I was really planning on buying either one of the shimano reals, the johnny morris, or the pfluger president. The supreme just seemed smoother to me in the store (and the bail flipped over very easily by reeling) which is what made me choose it at the last moment. I paired it with the Johnny morris carbonlite 6' rod, and love it!

-q

Dwaynesworld
05-05-2012, 05:21 PM
pflueger patriarch

QUAKEnSHAKE
05-05-2012, 10:43 PM
I know this is an ancient thread, but I was just going to mention, in case an of the original posters were still reading, that I just bought a Pfluger Supreme. In the instruction book, it pretty clearly instructs you to start reeling to close the bail in two different parts of the manual.

btw, I was really planning on buying either one of the shimano reals, the johnny morris, or the pfluger president. The supreme just seemed smoother to me in the store (and the bail flipped over very easily by reeling) which is what made me choose it at the last moment. I paired it with the Johnny morris carbonlite 6' rod, and love it!

-q

Im still here and still have the Stradic though the 3rd one(returned 2 1st couple weeks). Its been a pretty good reel glad I didnt pay full price it make a little bit of noise like the others did not as bad but noticeable oh well. Ive hardly ever closed it by hand no issues in this area so must not hurt bail closes fine.. Ive since bought 2 Pflueger Supreme XT's and a President and these are smoother and silent the way the Stradic should have been.

I think your Supreme purchase was a good one and yes I use the handle to close the bail on all my Pfluegers

lowe175
05-06-2012, 08:40 PM
get the Stradic no contest

GRIZZ
05-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the update. If you have had the stradic replaced twice, does that mean your have the J model now instead of the I? I'm really interested in knowing how these new shimanos are. I have had most of the newest models in my hands in the store but not on the water. I'd like to know if they have the old durability with the new refinements they have made. I still don't quite trust them even though they have fixed the issues I have had with them for the last few years, at least not enough to go buy any. Frankly, even though they have improved the reels I'm still inclined to buy other brands because quality and design of the brands they used to be better than are now right up with them or better. In particular the Patriarch looks like an awesome reel, and there is a dealer on ebay that sells them for $156.

QUAKEnSHAKE
05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
I still have an "FI". Like you just handled J's in store. They seem to have less turn effort that I noticed thats all I can add.