Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shimano or Johnny Morris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shimano or Johnny Morris

Well I think its down to these two Shimano Stradic FI 1000 vs Johnny Morris Sig series 1000 (aka JM)
    Anybody happen to have both?
    Or any reason to chose one over the other.
    ******Price well I have a 20% off coupon for Stradic so $130. The JM is $100 no coupon. Price non issue
    ****The JM -11 bearings & a braid specific spool. Spool is what caught my attention.
    Stradic well the Shimano name/reputation and those feature names ie Aero Wrap, Palidin System and its new spool-lip design.
    Reliability I would like 2 seasons of use at least before I get the itch to buy again.
    **Ive not owned either brand before
    Thanks for any input advice opinions or "if it was me" responses
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults or
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ite=image_link

Post Thanks / Like

Neither. Buy a Quantum Pt 10 Kinetic. You can get two for the price of one of yours. I've been using mine for over three years and have never had a single problem. They also handle Power-Pro exceptionally well. Smoooooooooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that was quick
    Im sort of wanting to treat myself for my 10 year anniversary. It will be paired with a $180
    St. Croix Avid 8' rod (AVS80MLM2).
    I do own a Quantum spinning reel and would like to try different brand.
    Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

You won't regret the Stradic if you get it......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ky-slabseeker View Post
    You won't regret the Stradic if you get it......
    x2

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano is the only way to go. I have a JM bait caster and never again.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you just want to spend a lot of money for something that a $30.00 combo will do. Just because it is expensive doesn't mean it will catch any more fish. If you want to spend money to catch fish, spend it on knowledge! Like Mr. Paty's video tape for $15.00 compared to some out there for $50.00 or more. You will get just as much if not more knowledge from his video at the others. (jmo) I have never gone wrong with Shimano TX1000 reels or the Quantum Optix op10f. I prefer the front drag as compared to the rear drag.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my reels (baitcasters & open-faced spinning) are Shimano. They make great quality reels and thats all I would buy. They're smooth and never breaks...at least for me anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the stradic 1000fi 2 months ago and it is the best crappie reel I have ever fished with. The more you use it the more you will appreciate the difference. Sure a $30 reel will catch fish but after you use the stradic you won't go back to anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Before you buy the stradic, dry fire the bail trip a few times. Open the bail, slowly move the handle till it stops. Then try to close the bail using the handle. I have had several new stradics in my hands and I think they have a real design problem on their hands with this new stradic. At that point every one I have had in my hands locks up so bad it has to damage the reel. There is no way a reel that does that is going to last very long. Its too bad too, because the rest of the new reel is just stellar. I was thinking of picking up one of the new stradic, but ever since I ran into that problem I would never want one until they resolve that problem, and its a big one.

I know I'm going to get a few people that will say that I should flip the bail with my hand to save the bail spring, but that isn't true. Speak to the company reps and they will tell you that bail spring components of modern quality spinning reels should last the lifetime of the reel flipping the bail only using the handle.

I use strictly spinning gear, and I really put reels through the ringer. I rarely flip the bail by hand and have had reels for 5-10 years without ever having to repair the bail tripping mechanisms. I am talking about quality reels here in the $80-150 range. If I have a reel fail its always the main gears, line roller, or the anti reverse that fails or wears out.

What other reels besides the BPS reel and the stradic have to tried?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast