Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunrise Service @ Rudee......Va Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunrise Service @ Rudee......Va Beach

0630 to 0930 ..........ALL THE BLUEFISH YOU COULD CATCH ........kept my limit of 10 for the day and proceded to tag flounder.......27 Flounder from 12" to 20 3/4" in 3 hours I was there this morning......

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

you actually eat them????

Post Thanks / Like

I have never actually caught any of these, but someone was nice enough to give me a mess at a public pier on the gulf several years ago.

Not knowing any better, I filleted them, soaked them in a little balsamic vinegar and then pan fried the fillets.

I thought they tasted great! I was also camping at the time and anything that comes off the old coleman stove in the great outdoors seems to hit the spot.

That being said, I have read post that say they are not fit to eat becuase they have a strong odor and taste. It didn't kill me, so maybe it is just personal thing.

Oscar

Post Thanks / Like

They get mushy if not fresh. Fun to catch but I just turn em loose or right back around for bait. I bet those bloody rascals would make good blue bait for the james RACN

Post Thanks / Like

I talked smack about blues for 30 years.....last year I ate a few for lunch, as long as I eat them the same day I will eat them in the 15 to 20 inch range - not bad at all really

BLUE CATS WONT TOUCH EM !!

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried them. Down here we just use them for bait, they do make good bait! :D Maybe I am missing something. Thanks for the picture.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

i grew up on jersey shorline and tried them bout anyway possible the only way they were edible to me was smoked, but everyone has different tastes.. i used to just catch them for shark bait

Post Thanks / Like

scale them, filet and leave skin on. I used to grill them skin side down and eat them right out of the shell. Just don't eat the real dark meat as that is the bloodline. Just tastes fishy but won't hurt you.

Post Thanks / Like

fillet them put on a 10/0 hook with a steel leader and get you some shark then grill that lol

Post Thanks / Like

they are excellent fried on the same day they are caught with bloodline taken out.....2 weeks ago i smoked some and they are even better smoked!...i made a bluefish dip with some of them...outstanding!
    I support catch and eat! :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast