Thread: Secrets of Jig Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Secrets of Jig Fishing

Give us your insight on fishing with a jig. Live, Breath and eat Crappie
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP

Post Thanks / Like

i love the little thump, i actually catch more on a slow vertical rise than a fall .

Post Thanks / Like

The slower the better.
    JC

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be a minnow man and now I can't remember the last time I bought minnows. Here are my tips for fishing with a jig.

1. Use Hi-Vis line - You can see the line better. I find myself to be more of a 'line watcher' then a 'feel' fisherman. Even my most sensitive, high dollar rods can't beat watching the line. Better then half the fish I catch just 'tick the line'. The bigger the fish, the smaller the tick.

2. Tight Lines???Loose lines?? Now I am gonna hop the fence on what most people believe to be true on tight lines. I actually like a small bow or curve in the line between the tip of my rod and the water. I use a 10' Wally Marshall signature series rod for jigging. It allows me to gather the slack line with a good hookset. Shorter rods do not take up the bow (slack) I like to to keep in the line. It also gives helps me to see suttle bites and ticks on the line.

3. Pull your knot Every time you catch a fish or snag, grab the jig and pull your line toward the hook on the jig. This seems to give the jig a little more 'natural' horizontal look in the water. I have used a double trilene knot all my life when I am just using one jig. I use 4# test line. I will only twist the line 3-4 times instead of 6-8 and this makes for a smaller knot. This is not the most sensitive knot, but it works when you're watching the line.

4. Pitching vs Casting I like to Pitch jigs around cover. I believe it makes the jig land softer on the water. I have caught many fish in the 1st 1-2 feet of depth when pitching. I cannot say the same for casting. I pie cast when I am trying to locate scattered or suspended fish.

5. Slow down your retrieve I like to move my jig just fast enough to hold its depth. The deeper I am fishing the slower my retrieve.

6. It's not a bass or other trash fish You don't have to bounce the rod tip to give a jig action. Hold the rod still 95% of the time and maybe twitch it 5% of the time. I think people confuse bass fisherman pitching jigs (usually on bottom) with crappie jigs. Less movement is more with smaller crappie jigs. I use 2 sizes of jigs the entire year (1/32 and 1/16). I don't go too much bigger unless I am really on some big fish. I do use 1/64 oz ice fishing jigs right after ice out. Then I progress into larger jigheads.

That's all I have. I can't say I am an expert on jig fishing, but these tips work for me.
    Last edited by PapermouthLegend; 04-30-2008 at 06:46 AM.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapermouthLegend View Post

6. It's not a bass or other trash fish You don't have to bounce the rod tip to give a jig action. Hold the rod still 95% of the time and maybe twitch it 5% of the time. I think people confuse bass fisherman pitching jigs (usually on bottom) with crappie jigs. Less movement is more with smaller crappie jigs. I use 2 sizes of jigs the entire year (1/32 and 1/16). I don't go too much bigger unless I am really on some big fish. I do use 1/64 oz ice fishing jigs right after ice out. Then I progress into larger jigheads.
    That is the hardest thing to teach those that ask me how I catch all those crappie with my jigs. And, hey, I like anything that hits my little jig while fishing- no such thing as "trash fish". :D

Post Thanks / Like

Read this book:

http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/D...46895&SKU=Book

IMO, it is the Bible of fishing jig-type lures.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing meatless with hair or feathur jigs is one of the hardest things to get a minnow guy to use until you get him out and show him a few times.
    With artificials you have way more control on size and color then with meat.

Look at some of the links these other guys posted for the info your looking for.I'm sure there's more then enough there that I do not need to reiterate.
    CK

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default big jigs = big fishes

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

cane pole that is cool is it made of metal i would love to have one if so
    so i can fish it at the local lock system those hybrid guys would look at me soo funny it would be great and to me well worth it
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast