PDA

View Full Version : What's the nuber one thing you do on the water to help you catch more crappie

CrappiePro
04-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Would love to hear some of your tactics, and I promise I will tell ya mine. It's kind of a secret, but you all are good folks and i promise what i have to say will help increase your catches. Good Fishing from the CrappiePro

gone_fishing
04-30-2008, 04:11 AM
ok you first

Smoky
04-30-2008, 04:54 AM
here's one...clean hands (no oil or gas on them)

catman
04-30-2008, 05:15 AM
never forget where you caught a fish.

Locator79
04-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Hold your mouth right!!!

ProStaffer
04-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Never leave fish to find fish

JCCLARK
04-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Keep moving (don't stay in one spot to long).

abarkley
04-30-2008, 06:31 AM
boat control

Bob # 1
04-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Bait the hook

Matt Smith
04-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Stay on the water.

PapermouthLegend
04-30-2008, 06:49 AM
These are all such good tips, I can't even add to them. I agree with smoky the most though. Clean your hands before you go fishing.

whackmaster
04-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Abarkley stole my thunder...boat control....look at the guys who consistently catch fish and everyone of them have superior boat control. You can not present your bait properly time and time again if you don't have complete control of your boat position. Secondly would be persistence...sometimes when it looks like your going to get skunked you try one last spot and BAM ! ... you end up having a ball and catching fish like crazy.

DRPEPPER
04-30-2008, 06:52 AM
I have learned in the past couple of years that you have to make time to go. I am not the fisherman I used to be simply because I had to change my priorities. Hopefully that will change come mid-summer.
DP

pstone
04-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Boat control, and fishing where the fish actually are...

Wichita
04-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Dot get sunscreen on your hands!

CrappiePappy
04-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Location, location, location :p .... followed by boat control (position) ... then presentation method.
You can't catch'em where they ain't -- you've got to control the boat, to get the best approach angle to the cover you're fishing -- and you've got to present the lure at the proper depth, & speed of movement.
To sum it all up in "one" thing ... I try to put myself in the best overall position, to present my offering, at the speed & depth where the fish has the best chance of seeing it. (ie - "location") ;)

... cp :cool:

wrwest
04-30-2008, 07:45 AM
All these are good. But most of all MAKE TIME TO GO, That is the best one. Other that I can't add to much.

TwainGang
04-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Use strong braided line, so you can straighten hooks out to get your jig back from a snag. You can then rebend it and get it back in the water quicker.

beagle man
04-30-2008, 08:20 AM
go slow then slow down and just fish dont try to out fish everyone else on the water just fish

ERNEST PATY
04-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Fish as often as possible. Even a good fisherman gets rusty.

Don't sit too long on a dead spot. Doesn't matter what was happening yesterday.

Fish for active fish. When a spot cools off, move, may return later.

Try to use your head and think about where the fish should be. Just because a spot produced last summer doesn't make it a good spot to start in March.

Try different presentations and baits until you develop a pattern.

Catch what you need and throw the rest back. Catch and releses works for Crappie too.

Fred in Ky
04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Boat control. When I am running the trolling motor and fishing with a buddy I have to be real careful or I'll "boat" lock them. If I see a log or whatever laying a certain way, I want to fish it a certain way and will position the boat to try and be able to get my "presentation" just right. When it is windy (most fishing days are:D) it is hard but well worth it IMHO.

DADAKOTA
04-30-2008, 08:55 AM
MOst important. FIsh with family and friends and HAVE FUN. Relax and enjoy the experience.

BuckCreekMike
04-30-2008, 09:01 AM
I'd say getting out there is THE most important thing. You ain't gonna catch if you ain't out there. People may say you are crazy sometimes, but you feel vindicated when you come back with fish or stories of fish and they didn't have the lack of common sense to go out with you.

HarleyMan08
04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Hold your mouth right!!!

I haven't heard that in years, My dad would always tell me that, I thought he was full of it, or maybe just wanted me to hush. :D

Slipped Cork
04-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Am I stupid? I'm still waiting for a response from the pro!

Slipped Cork
04-30-2008, 09:32 AM
I'll answer that! His secret is he is fishing and I'm staring at this computer! I feel like such a fool.

Eager Beaver
04-30-2008, 09:45 AM
To remember why you are out there in the first place! That is to have fun and enjoy the outdoors. I seem to catch more fish if I relax and enjoy the time on the water as to be worried about catching fish and looking good to other people because I caught some fish. Never gas up your truck or boat on the way to the lake. Never use any petrolium products before either. If I have to gas up or grease something I wash my hands really good and then rinse them with BaitMate Crappie sent before touching any fishing equipment.

DC Crappie Kid
04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
"the number one thing [I] do on the water to help [me] catch more crappie" is FISH! You can't catch crappie if you don't fish!

A wise old man from c.c once said "the only way to be sure I'm fishing when the fish are biting is to always be fishing!"

SweetHomeAlabama
04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
When the fish aren't biting, I always use my GO-TO method.

The "Light-A-Cigarette" method.

Anytime I try to light a cigarette, I'll look up and a cork will be gone. :D:D:D

foul hook
04-30-2008, 10:08 AM
I have a Si and it makes it easy to cover a lot of water in a short period of time.

GRIZZ
04-30-2008, 10:36 AM
High quality gear = more sensitivity = more strikes detected. I almost always cast jigs with no bobber. I very rarely get outfished.

TacoBender
04-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Out of all the post there are a couple of things that wern't mentioned.
1st Boat controll (it was said)
2nd Learn how to read your sonors!
3rd USE CRAPPIE NIBBLES!!! They will increase your catch at least %50
These things have helped me over the years to catch more Crappie.
GoodLuck

I gotta bite
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Go Fishing!!!!:):)

Nu2Fresh
04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Don't matter to me if I catch anything or not. If I'm out there, it means all my chores and work is done, and now it's time to relax and play......:p

shipahoy41
04-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Fish as often as possible. Even a good fisherman gets rusty.

Don't sit too long on a dead spot. Doesn't matter what was happening yesterday.

Fish for active fish. When a spot cools off, move, may return later..

Amen. The number one thing is to have confidence in what you are doing and slow your bait down.

AntiochBA
04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
When the fish aren't biting, I always use my GO-TO method.

The "Light-A-Cigarette" method.

Anytime I try to light a cigarette, I'll look up and a cork will be gone. :D:D:D

and if that doesn't work..... Take a Pee

and if that doesn't work..... re-rig the wife's fubar

TreednNC
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM

:D I aint seen that on a forum in a LONNNNNNG time. I bout spit tea all over my keyboard!

Kenlake slab
04-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Be prepared ahead of time. Have all your gear and tackle ready and in good shape.That way you can spend your time fishing instead of tying line and fixing your setup.

Nightprowler
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I always get thing ready at the dock, so when I pull up on a spot to fish, I'm not banging around the boat making alot of noise. Rod Holders set, minnow bucket handy (if needed), GPS on and marker in hand on the way, in case something interesting show up on screen. Then at the end of the trip, I record what worked and what didn't and locations cordinates.

ad1974
04-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I agree with the don't stay at a spot because you caught a bunch there before even though you are catching nothing there now comment.I used to do this all the time and since I have stopped doing this my catch rates have increased.

Ken Jones
04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Slow retreave using crappie jig tubes in red/white and black/chartruse and all white in 1/16 oz. jig. I tip my jigs with crappie niblets bhttp://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk189/kljo2109/image_4.jpgye berkley.

AntiochBA
04-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Slow retreave using crappie jig tubes in red/white and black/chartruse and all white in 1/16 oz. jig. I tip my jigs with crappie niblets bye berkley.
Does this work on reservoirs with stained water? We have been dealing with a ton of silt this spring.....thanks

DC Crappie Kid
04-30-2008, 02:31 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a fubar is? Do I want to know what a fubar is?

Wiskers
04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
1. Check your conditions and have a game plan when you hit the water.
2. Stay on the move and try to locate active fish.
3. Pay attention to changing conditions.
4. Don't be afraid to experiment & try new things and other patterns if the one you are using is not work'n.
4. Trust your gut; you'll be suprised how often you're right.
5. Spend time on the water.
6. Keep a log book.
7. Read the posts on Crappie.com. :D

SOWDADDY
04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
A Few Of Them Are Learn To Use A Gps When Going To Deep Structure You Can Bouye A Waypoint The 1st Time You Pull Up To It Instead Of Trying To Guess Or Triangulate A Position, Read And Set Your Graphs To You Know What Crappie Look Like (not Always Crappie Though)or Structure.always When Casting To Brush,structure,docks,ect. Use As Light Of A Jig Or Fly That The Wind Will Allow If The Fish Will Not Hit Something Moving Fast,keeps It In The Zone Longer.this Takes (paitantce)sp. Watch Your Line To Stop,twitch,jump Alot Of Bites Are Never Felt!

TreednNC
04-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't know what a fubar is? Do I want to know what a fubar is?

f***ed up beyond repair

Cane Pole
04-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Leave Honey at the house.

beenfishin?
04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Don't Forget To Light Da Fuse!!

stinkies daddy
04-30-2008, 05:57 PM
keep looking never stay in 1 spot if they aint biting move

Quicksilver1958
04-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Color is Important! Around here.. "Red" and "Chartreuse" hand grenades work the best.

Seriously, Most important thing is to enjoy the time admiring all the things that the good lord made while you are out there whether you are catching fish or not.. If you approach it with that attitude,, somehow,,,, you will ctch more fish.

FIN
04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Try new lakes and rivers.
You never know the place you haven't tried in a while may be hot.
Use good string and double check your knots.:o

justforfun
04-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Don't do what the guys running up and down the lake are doing. I never caught any fish going 50 mph.

Gadget Man
04-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Absolutley great input from everyone. Those who fish regularly have a "fairly" good chance of catching fish. Those that don't fish much have very little, if any, chance at all!

FUBAR: F@!$@ Up Beyond All Recognition is what I was always told.

Also...for those really tough days...know where there is a fresh fish market with your species available...lol.

crappiehuntr
05-01-2008, 02:00 AM
fish as much as you can, use a log book, and listen to what that book and the fish tell you. Ask a guide how much he has learned since his first client!

jimmydee1
05-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Some REALLLLY great stuff guys. I like to take dead minners and mash them up in a small can and add some lake water. Makin my own chum. It works, and keeps unnecessary scents off your jugs. Here's another one. Take a kid fishin thats never been before. He will remember you the rest of his life, you'll have great memories and a bunch of laughs, and it just don't get much better than that.

Spiderman
05-01-2008, 11:15 PM
A log book can be simple but a big asset. I buy a new calendar each year with big blocks. When I go fishing I write a brief note on that day of where I caught crappie, how many, temperature/wind and what color jig. I have 5 years of old calendars and they take allot of guess work out of my fishing trips.

If you want to consistently catch fish build tops. Ten a year is a good start. Add a christmas tree or bamboo top to them each year or so. In a couple of years, you can catch some of the biggest crappie in your lake out of them.

If you fish with hollow plastic tubes use crappie nibblets and buy a pump to inject the nibblets inside the tube. Once you fill a tube up once it will have enough scent to last as long as the tube will last. You will catch allot more crappie.

Superglue the tube to the jighead and use a weedless jighead. You can fish it anywhere and not get hungup. Imagine crappie fishing without breaking off and retieing.

Best of luck to you.

NIMROD
05-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Spend lots of time fishing;)

lowe rider
05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
GO to the lake instead of watching saturday morning fishing shows on the outdoor channel.

Locator79
05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Lets hear it crappiepro!

Dawgmanx2
05-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Build structure and vary depths and locations for all seasons. If you are going to be fishing for several days in a row, get some cotton seed mill cakes and put in burlap bags and weight down and throw some in each of the spots you will be fishing.

TreednNC
05-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Absolutley great input from everyone. Those who fish regularly have a "fairly" good chance of catching fish. Those that don't fish much have very little, if any, chance at all!

FUBAR: F@!$@ Up Beyond All Recognition is what I was always told.

Also...for those really tough days...know where there is a fresh fish market with your species available...lol.

Thats it......getting old is a pain. I'll be 23 next week goin on 83

daltreypark
05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Out of all the post there are a couple of things that wern't mentioned.
1st Boat controll (it was said)
2nd Learn how to read your sonors!
3rd USE CRAPPIE NIBBLES!!! They will increase your catch at least %50
These things have helped me over the years to catch more Crappie.
GoodLuck

I got tired of spending money on crappie nibbles so I started using canned corn. Works just the same and a can will last me a long time. Just put a bunch in the empty crappie nibbles bottle and add some of the canned water to it.

gabowman
05-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Even with night time fishing it aint so easy to go get on top of fish every time out. I believe time spent on the water cannot br replaced. But even at that just running to the same spot doesnt help keep you on fish either. I believe the #1 thing that helps produce fish for me is scouting. I'm always (most always:o) am on the water an hour or so before dark & before going on a nightstalk checking different places idling around looking on the graph. I'm always looking for another one of those "honeyholes" with plenty of baitfish with fish underneath, checking creek channels, steep banks, etc. You could say I am looking for a spot to set up on my "next" night of fishing on the lake. That way, when one spot slows down you already know where there are other great spots to fish.

Ken Jones
05-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Good question Smoky I really can't say, I'm sorry. I guess find fish and try it with bright colors tipped with crappie niblets, for scent. Good luck.

slabbandit
05-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Boat control is extremely important but try to recognize a pattern as soon as you start to catch fish and duplicate what works.;):)

sticko
05-03-2008, 11:54 PM
sharpen hooks

pay close attention to what your depth finder is telling you.

study fish habits

find food shelf and bait fish

have a good marker.

Ken Jones
05-06-2008, 02:19 PM
What about that guy who can't afford a boat and fishes from the shore line. What would you suggest him or her to do? I would suggest fish around docks, from coves, rocky points, brush in water and around fallen debree. Ask local merchants where to go. What they are using to catch fish. Bobber and jig with a slow retrieve.

joejv4
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
:D I aint seen that on a forum in a LONNNNNNG time. I bout spit tea all over my keyboard!

Hahahah!!!!! Me too. Actually even better than re-rigging the wife's fubar is take a young kid fishing and re-rig their fubar! Guaranteed to hook a fish on the rod you left hanging over the side of the boat!

I got a 30" pike on a chart crappie tube two weeks ago while re-rigging my son's rod. That's why I try to take him with me every time I go (that, and it's just plain-old fun to fish with him) :)

CrappiePro
05-07-2008, 04:18 AM
Build structure and vary depths and locations for all seasons. If you are going to be fishing for several days in a row, get some cotton seed mill cakes and put in burlap bags and weight down and throw some in each of the spots you will be fishing.

Dawgman cotton seed mill cakes is a new one to me, where do you get it? Is it a minnow attractant? Like to hear about your experiances with it? Thax CrappiePro

CrappieWhisperer
05-07-2008, 10:58 PM
I always fish with my best friend in the boat with me. You've heard two heads are better than one. We bounce ideas and techniques off each other and usually come up with a plan that works. I think the best thing is being able to share all the memories and dispute all the lies. I can't imagine not sharing my favorite thing to do with good friend, the competition alone makes us both better fishermen.

Dawgmanx2
05-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Dawgman cotton seed mill cakes is a new one to me, where do you get it? Is it a minnow attractant? Like to hear about your experiances with it? Thax CrappiePro

CrappiePro; Im new at making structure and baiting them, so my only info is from this site searching past post for cottonseed meal cakes and from the web site that makes it. (www.mealcake.com) I just purchased my first cakes from Co-Op in Camden, TN and they have now started stocking since I informed them on where they could buy it from. They are selling it in 1 lb bags and aprox. 19 lbs boxes. I also got burlap bags from C0-OP and plan on cutting them in small pieces and putting about a pound of cake and weigh them down with large rocks and wire tie the end of the sacks together and toss into my beds. From what I understand as it breaks down in the water it attracts bait fish from the sent and they feed on it and they attract crappie and other type fish as well. One thing I liked about it again from what I understand is it does not attract catfish like dog food will. I hope that this has helped but again Im just starting to do this and I know a lot of the guys on here can help a lot more than me. Good luck and let me know how it works for you if you decide to give it a try.

Barry

Stinkfinger
05-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm going to share this with you guys, but only if you promise never to divulge this fishing secret to anyone else, ok?

I learned this many years ago from my grandfather. He never returned from a fishing trip without at least 100 catches.

Here's what you do:

Find a dead animal. Roadkill will do, or even your neighbor's dog. Neighbor's dog not dead? You can change that, right? Especially if this dog barks 24/7.

Take the dead critter with you to the lake or stream. Put it in your boat, I know, it smells bad, but the worse it smells, the better it will be. Find a good sturdy tree branch that hangs out over the water. Pull your boat under that, secure the dead animal to the tree branch using heavy wire. Nylon rope will work, but its not as good as steel wire. Nylon can dissolve after the decaying juices begin to work as an enzyme to break down body structure.

After hanging the carcass in the tree, leave and go directly to the car wash and clean your boat. Go home, clean yourself. Wait 4-5 days and return in your boat to the "swinging meat". It should be good and juicy by now. Try to stay upwind if you can.

Here's what happens; When the flies "blow" the meat, the maggots begin to grow and eventually they spill out of the carcass and into the water below. Doesn't take long for word to get around and all the fish will flock to the continuous stream of maggots dropping from heaven.

Cast in the midst of the maggots and get ready to catch fish. What could be simpler?