PDA

View Full Version : Mount

Fullspectrum
04-29-2008, 11:00 PM
What size crappie do you consider is worthy as a wall mount?

Specktater
04-29-2008, 11:22 PM
I would love to have a 3 pounder hanging on my wall. The way it's been going I may have to lower those expectations to anything over 14".:mad:

GRIZZ
04-30-2008, 12:22 AM
3's are awful nice fish. I am not a big fan of mounting fish, but I really like replicas. I have gotten a few 3's over the years though it has been a very long time since my lake has produced fish that size. What I think I would like to do is wait until I get a freakishly huge fish, like a 4+ hopefully someday and then get a multi mount with the a 4, a couple 3's and 2 or 3 2's to represent the fish I have caught over my lifetime. Something like this - http://www.artisticanglers.com/Images/1BIGCRAPPIE%20DISPLAY.jpg If the 4 never happens then I will be happy with my memories and pictures. One exception may be is I find a taxidermist who makes amazingly real replicas, I may get a single 3 just to admire until the freak arrives.

About 20 years ago I saw a mount of a stringer of fish hanging from the ceiling to the floor of a tackle shop in Erie PA and that has stuck in my mind all these years. It was impressive and I may do that someday when I have a few grand burning a hole in my pocket.

camofish
04-30-2008, 01:43 AM
That is one awesome mount there grizz. :eek: Sweet, I'd love one like that, but that right there is a very lot of coin. :)

catman
04-30-2008, 05:07 AM
3 pounder for me.

ProStaffer
04-30-2008, 06:20 AM
I have a 17 1/2 incher on the wall, weighed in at 2.8lb... I've caught several others between 15 and 17 but just let them go after a picture...

If I get another super slab over 17, and my bank account can take it (HA!) I may get a replica mount... Who knows?

What I really want to do is get my fishing partner and fellow Microspoons Pro Staffer into a giant and get him the replica. He's my 10 year old son and one heck of a fisherman.

Locator79
04-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Had one that almost went 3 one time in my life. Had it in the freezer to be mounted, had to go out of town for the weekend. While gone the sewer dept was cleaning out ditches in our rear easment a cut the power to my garage, and fish was ruined. I not as fortunate as some of you guys who always find the 2lb plus fish. As soon as I get one over 2 its going on the wall.

catman
04-30-2008, 06:51 AM
hey locator79, you should have marked that electric line before you left. just kidding just some bad luck on your fish.

whackmaster
04-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Firstly...I would only do a replica. And I would consider a slab thats 16 1/2 of 17 inches...biggest to this point is 16 inches and it was tempting but I thought I'd get a bigger one ....but not yet.

DRPEPPER
04-30-2008, 07:00 AM
I have one on the wall that was 2.6 lbs and 16 1/4 inches. But, I have to say I was mixed about mounting it. For me, it just didn't feel right to take a creature out of it's glory to display on my wall. It was different than mounting a deer head. At least I ate the deer; may be the taxidermist got to eat my fish:). Fortunately I chose someone that really knew what he was doing and the mount looks just like I took it out of the water.
DP

TreednNC
04-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Something over 17". Length means more to me than weight. Ive come to terms that I'll probably never catch a 3lber since neither one of my 16"ers weighed 2lbs when I see a lot of 14.5-16" 2lbers+ on here lol.

pstone
04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
3.5 and up...

poppop
04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
I don't mount deer unless they are 18" inside and at least 8 points. I may never catch one, but I am holding out for a 3 pounder before I have it mounted.

wrwest
04-30-2008, 07:53 AM
I would have to say 3# plus would be nice.

CrappiePappy
04-30-2008, 07:57 AM
which would be anything 3lbs or over ;) ... then it goes on the wall next to my other two mounts, and that's the end of any more wallhangers for me ;)

... cp :cool:

GRIZZ
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
That is one awesome mount there grizz. :eek: Sweet, I'd love one like that, but that right there is a very lot of coin. :)

Agreed, lol I did say a few grand. I'd be interested in what the cost of that one was. 15 fish on that mount. I love their replicas. Did you notice those fish are colored just like your yellow fish you have in your neck of the woods Camo? Beautiful mounts.

M R Dux
04-30-2008, 01:05 PM
I've mounted crappie from just over a pound to 4 pounds for customers. Too many people get hung up on size matters. The experience and memories are what matters! I have a 5 inch bluegill mount in my showroom and a bass that is about 1 1/2 pounds. The bluegill is a fiberglass replica that I did from start to finish. Lots of folks come in the studio and ask why anyone would mount such a small fish. It gives me a chance to tell them it's the experience that matters.Sure, we all want to hang our biggest fish on the wall but trophy is in the eyes of the beholder (and the holder of the checkbook).

Locator79
04-30-2008, 01:37 PM
hey locator79, you should have marked that electric line before you left. just kidding just some bad luck on your fish.

Very good point, at the time I was installing fence though. The line got repaired, but they did not seem care as much as I did about the fish!!!!!

GRIZZ
05-02-2008, 08:41 PM
I've mounted crappie from just over a pound to 4 pounds for customers. Too many people get hung up on size matters. The experience and memories are what matters! I have a 5 inch bluegill mount in my showroom and a bass that is about 1 1/2 pounds. The bluegill is a fiberglass replica that I did from start to finish. Lots of folks come in the studio and ask why anyone would mount such a small fish. It gives me a chance to tell them it's the experience that matters.Sure, we all want to hang our biggest fish on the wall but trophy is in the eyes of the beholder (and the holder of the checkbook).

Lets see some pics there mrdux. I'm interested in your work.

the crappie soldier
05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I have a few of these that Mike Purcell makes and sells on crappie stuff website. Hand carved and very nice. He is a true artist. They all look great in my crappie house. They are only 10" fish, I have no idea if he would custom make them larger. Caught some bigger but these preserve the memories just fine. I love my stringer, got it for Xmas.:D

http://www.crappiestuff.com/mike_purcell_wood_carvings.html

GRIZZ
05-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Those are nice. How can he sell them for so little?

M R Dux
05-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Grizz, It would be better to check out my web site rather than me trying to post several photos. Hope this isn't a problem.

www.5riversdux.com

go to the photo gallery then click on mount photos.

toothpick
05-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Here is the only three pound Crappie I have caught in over thirty five years of Crappie fishing. The white spot on the tail is where someone ran into it. Intend to have it touched up.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/claimsman/3lbCrappie.jpg

Fred in Ky
05-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't know really. I don't have any mounts but have caught a few really nice ones over the years. If I had to have a mount I would want a 18" crappie.

gone_fishing
05-04-2008, 06:56 PM
17 inch crappie is my goal.