Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: BnM rods for slow trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default BnM rods for slow trolling

Are the BnM pro staff trolling rods the real heavy action rods that aren't suitable for slow trolling with 1/2-3/4 oz weights? Is it the BGJP's that I work well with 1/2-3/4 oz weights? I wish they would put more info like lure weight on their web site.

Post Thanks / Like

Default BnM Trolling Rods

Bart, recently had the opportunity to troll with the BnM Pro Staff Trolling rods in Mississippi in 4 ft of water, where we caught 37 crappie, most going 2.25 to 2.75 lbs, one over 3 lbs. We used 1/2 oz weights and had not problems. These poles are the real deal.

I had used the regular BnM poles for trolling prior to this experience and had problem with the rods breaking about 6 to 10 inches from the tip. The Pro Trolling Poles have a back bone and I was so impressed, I ordered 8 when I returned home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    Are the BnM pro staff trolling rods the real heavy action rods that aren't suitable for slow trolling with 1/2-3/4 oz weights? Is it the BGJP's that I work well with 1/2-3/4 oz weights? I wish they would put more info like lure weight on their web site.
    I have (2) 12' and (2) 14' BnM Pro Staff trolling rods that I'm very happy with. I guess my first question would have to be, where did you read the Pro Staff trolling rods are not suitable for trolling?

The second question would be, what are you expecting from them? They handle 1/2-3/4 oz just fine, but I would not consider them "heavy action" or perhaps not even medium action considering their length. I would describe them as light action with a moderate amount of back bone 2-3ft down from the tip. I guess my final opinion would be, if you wish to troll for Panfish this is a good choice, if you wish to troll for larger fish, Stripers, Walleye, etc., then these would not be my choice.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your first question VietVet... I didn't hear that about the pro trollers. Wally Marshall has a new line of rods called the tightline special that are rated 1/2 -1 oz but Wally says they are too stiff for slow trolling. He recommends them for power trolling with crankbaits. I was comparing them in my own mind I suppose. The pro staff trollers must be a different blank than Wally's. Thanks Bill for the reminder on the tip problem with the BGJP's. I'll take a closer look at the Pro Trollers.

Post Thanks / Like

has anyone used the BnM slo troller telescopic poles, i have been looking at them because they fit the budget better. any feedback?