PDA

View Full Version : Northern Snakeheads

NIMROD
04-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I just read on another forum where the Snakeheads were found in Arkansas. I hope they can wipe them out before we get infested with those exotics. I heard they can be bad for our native fishes like Crappie.:eek:

NIMROD
04-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Snakeheads were found in Piney Creek , Lee County Arkansas.:eek:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/nimrodfishing/2450085505_ff8286494e.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/nimrodfishing/2450911566_5f971d74ac.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/nimrodfishing/2450085467_a8fde10ac1.jpg

pstone
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Kinda looks like a grinel (bowfin) don't it? Those are the ones that can cross land right?

Timeout
04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Does look like a grinel. So where did they come from?

Miller
04-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Where do they come from? UGLY!!

joewildlife
04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
1 of 28 species native to Asia and Africa.

Catch, kill, release.

Joe

Timeout
04-28-2008, 09:57 PM
So if you do catch one of these......kill it?

Barnacle Bill
04-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Most, if not all states want you to kill them and report them.

the crappie soldier
04-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Ugly fish. Will the raccoons even eat those ugly things after you kill and throw them on the bank?

NIMROD
04-28-2008, 11:06 PM
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/snakehead.phtml

Specktater
04-28-2008, 11:28 PM
I saw a TV show about these things. They have the potential to be devastating to the sport we love. I get so angry when I think about how people are so careless and stupid with their actions. I know this isn't the PC view but I am to the point that I wish we could close our borders. I'm not dumb enough to believe we could survive economically with no imports but between this and toxic imports from China and educating students from abroad so they can use that education against the people of the U.S. I am about fit to be tied. Sorry for the rant, I am just very frustrated.

NIMROD
04-28-2008, 11:48 PM
YOU SO RIGHT TO A POINT . THESE POLITICANS HAVE GIVEN OUR COUNTRY AND OUR CHILDRENS FUTURE AWAY!:mad: IT SURE IS NOT LOOKING GOOD FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR WAY OF LIFE. THEY ARE LOWERING OUR STANDARD OF LIVING WHILE THE REST OF THE WORLD IS ON THE WAY UP !:eek::mad::(

sac-a-lait
04-29-2008, 12:03 AM
take them to a local chinese restaurant, give them to the owners...they know what to do with them

grits and gravy
04-29-2008, 07:57 AM
I spoke with a fisheries biologist with the AGFC a couple of days ago and asked him about this. He stated that they are pretty sure that they know where these fish came from. A fish farmer in Monroe county had them and was told by a friend that they were illegal and he was to get rid of them. So he went out to a field and threw them out. Apparently he did not know that they could survive out of water and that they would travel to find water. This is just what I was told, so it may or may not be true.

Black Crow
04-29-2008, 08:31 AM
take them to a local chinese restaurant, give them to the owners...they know what to do with them

Ha! you got that right.

You guys should take up bowfishing. I am an avid crappie fisherman, but after the sun goes down in the summer time, my friends and get out there and shoot those carp and other rough fish such as snakeheads. Silver Carp (the ones you see jumping out of the water), Bighead Carp, and snakeheads are becoming a problem in Tennessee lakes and rivers.

Flyrod Man
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Where the fish imported by fish farm guys? Up here in the north we are having costly problems with "chinese" carp that were imported in ARK by fish farms and got loose during floods and traveled north. Boating on some rivers up here requires helmets and protection because people have been injured. Can't even use the water in area's because of the danger. The motor noise causes them to jump out of the water (30 lbs+) and people get hit. Elec/wires have been strung in the water to try and stop them from entering Lake MI. Its a real problem. Many times people import fish to help in the tanks but are not aware of the problems they can cause if they escape.

Wiskers
04-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I know this isn't the PC view but I am to the point that I wish we could close our borders. I'm not dumb enough to believe we could survive economically with no imports but between this and toxic imports from China and educating students from abroad so they can use that education against the people of the U.S. I am about fit to be tied. Sorry for the rant, I am just very frustrated.

Heck with being politically correct! I don't blame ya a darn bit! That PC crap is part of what's got use in this bind.

As far as not being able to survive... We'd survive. Believe me the rest of the world needs us economically! We are the larges consumers in the world. It's time to start taking care of our own and quit feeding the world and bending to the will of OPEC. Let those son of a guns try to make soup out of their oil for awhile & see how long it takes the price of oil to come down. We're the largest producer of food in the world. If we have to use food as a weapon... So be it! I ain't seen too much farm land in the middle east.

My granddaddy saw this coming years ago and told me that if we don't start fighting to keep this country we're gonna be fighting to get it back! I see now how wise those words were.

If we wait on the polititions to fix things we're doomed. Most of them have their pockets lined with special intrest money. Well I've got news for them. When the American $ hits bottom they'll be just as broke as I am! A $ won't be worth nothing more than the paper it's printed on.

All you really have to have is food and shelter. The rest is icing. Shut the borders and cut'm off.

There... Now there's a rant for ya!

Oh yeah! Those fish suck too! :D

ShortStorie
04-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Saw the same TV show about the snakeheads. They think the northern variety may have been a result of ONE pair that were sold to an old Chinese gentleman who intended to make a medicinal stew for a sick relative. The relative got better without the stew and the fish were released as is the custom. Old guy had know knowledge that the fish were imported illegally... Just bought them at an Oriental store. Apparently he told the DNR what he had done after he heard about the results. The giant snakeheads (beginning to infest southern waters) are thought to have been released by exotic fish fanciers who didn't know they would outgrow the aquarium. Maybe they will eat the Asian carp :) and everything else :(

Crappie Reaper
04-30-2008, 06:12 AM
It should be illegal to import live fresh water fish that are not indigenous to this country. Too little too late. Those of you that frequent other forums might bring this to their attention. If all fishermen/women were aware of this problem, perhaps we can have an effect on their numbers.