Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Length of Spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Length of Spawn

How long does the typical crappie spawn last? Are we talking a week, a month, ??????

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Dadakota ...

Quote Originally Posted by DADAKOTA View Post
    How long does the typical crappie spawn last? Are we talking a week, a month, ??????
    "Typical" is a relative term, like "normal" :p

But, given the right conditions, with little to no interruptions, I'd say a couple of weeks should be enough time for all possible spawner year classes to do their thing. Perfect conditions, and they could possibly get'r done in a week. But, when & where do "perfect" conditions occur :p It's only a once in a great many years that we have anything close to "normal" conditions, let alone perfect ones :D
    You also have to take into account the fact that, if you have both species of Crappie in your lake ... they don't usually spawn at the same time. So, overall, from the first wave to the last (of both species - Black Crappie & White Crappie) ... can be stretched out over a month's time, or possibly longer.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Do the blacks or whites spawn first?

Post Thanks / Like

Black's

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, DADAKOTA,,,,,I was going to post the same question today!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to figure out if they will still be on the bank in two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends alot on the lake also it can go near a month here if you move from tributaries to deep water bays nearer the dam. some lakes it would be much shorter. I usually catch fish on the bank b4 most people consider looking. It started yesterday for me and had the banks to myself. If they are spawning now you will need to find deeper water areas in 2 weeks I would guess.
    ITS LIKE BASEBALL PITCHIN,HITTIN,CATCHIN

Post Thanks / Like

smaller fish will normally spawn ater, usuallly about a 6 week spawning window for crappie. temperature,water and other variables can affect that! dave, go back to dad's for another hit!

Post Thanks / Like

my guess...using the weather's ups and downs, fronts, etc...6-8 weeks. Some shallow and some deeper. Not even sure the biologists know for sure. I've even heard that some won't spawn if their "personal conditions" aren't exactly right. Tight Lines!
    Support Our Troops!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting encouraged to go back about the 10th of May. Hopefully there will be some around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast