Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever paint a Jon Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone ever paint a Jon Boat

Anyone ever paint a jon boat that held up? What paint did you use, what color looks good? Any thing other than the olive color? Post some photos if you have them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have once. There is a special primer that must be used on aluminum. I can't remember what it's called, something oxide. Be sure to check it out.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newblade View Post
    Anyone ever paint a jon boat that held up? What paint did you use, what color looks good? Any thing other than the olive color? Post some photos if you have them.
    Sure I have a 14' I painted red and black and my cuz painted his dark green. I done mine about 3 year ago and it still looks good. Paint was from Lowes or maybe Home Depot for aluminum. My cuz just done his this year he got his primer and paint from Wally World. We both used a air sprayer not too much trouble. Hope this helps.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

I have painted a couple. Be sure to use the paint for aluminum. All others will wash or chip off with time. Oil base also does well. You should be able to paint any color you want. Any good paint job is in the prep though. Scrape away any chipped paint or dirt. I also wipe down the entire area to be painted with a clean cotton cloth and deglosser or no sand. This removes the dirt and preps the finish. It makes it kinda sticky and the paint adheres really well to it. I am no expert but I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

ive painted a couple one thing to do is lightly sand the boat to help get the paint to stick

Post Thanks / Like

Default chromeum oxide primer

Chromeum oxide is the primer used on aluminum, but you can also use a two part epoxy. I did this two a 12 ft. deep vee a couple years ago and it still looks good. Once primed with epoxy just used Krylon for color coats.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

Clean and prime and use good quality aluminum paint. I didn't but it sure looked pretty. I got the boat up on plane and all of a sudden it was like I threw out 2 or 3 windsocks, the boat slowed down drasticly so I turned around and headed for the dock. Got there and put the boat on the trailer and thought I had hydrilla attached to the bottom of the boat. The paint had peeled like it was run thru a shredder and had slowed the boat to a crawl. I cleaned it off in the parking lot then put er back on the water and away we went. I like the patch quilt aluminum look myself. hehehe Ferdi

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I get my jon boat I'd like to paint it Battleship Grey hehehe :D
    Proud Veteran, United States Marines

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Zinc Chromate Primer

We have to paint our life boats out here on the river. I have painted dozens. Get the surface clean. Whip it down good with distilled vinager. Prime it with zinc chromate & spray a light coat. Ada coats as needed but let evey coat dry good before adding another coat.
    Last edited by Wiskers; 04-28-2008 at 02:57 AM.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast