Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: catching bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default catching bait

what's the best method for catching bream to be used for catfish bait?
    what size bream works best?
    traps, nets, poles???
    thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Spillway shad

Post Thanks / Like

i like to fish for all fish really but mainly catfish what i do is catch bluegill during the day on a pole and then use them whole live at nigh

i have found that bigger bait is not always better as in many cases i have caught 2 3 and 4 pound flatheads on hand size bait but i will use a few hand size ones from time to time my favorite size gill is about 4 inches

as far as traping them its illlegal here so you might want to check with dnr where you plan on catching them i know if we catch any game fish in a trap or net here we have to turn it loose but if we catch them on a pole we can do what we want with them eat them use them for bait or throw them in the weeds lol

hope this is of some kind of help
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Post Thanks / Like

Trapping small bream is legal here in AR, and a bream trap is the best and easiest way to catch them. Lots of designs out there, and crackers are best bait. I have found in catfishing the lakes, the smaller bream are the best bait. Have tried them all sizes, but consistently the small sunperch, bream are the best.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We use big 4'' to 8'' Green Sunfish . They are best for Flatheads here. But smaller sunfish/bream under 4'' is best for Channel Catfish. In Arkansas there is not limit and can be trapped on sunfish/bream 4'' and under. Those on hook and line of any size can be used for bait , but limit is 50 per person wether used to eat or for bait .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

sabiki rigs

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

grandkids and a can of worms

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    grandkids and a can of worms
    That is the neatest to watch
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Catching them is not the problem,keeping them alive is the problem.Here in ky 2 line's with 50 hook's each person x 2 people is 200 bait's to start with.400 on average will fish 3 day's accounting for the gar taking the bait off.You will need a big cage to keep them in and I use a big plastic storage tub from WMart with a aerator to transport your gill's in.Remember to chech the aerator often because the gill's will spit up moss if caught from a pond and clog it up then they die.If they get a blue cast in their eye they are no good,going to die soon.I can get really detailed if you ask.