Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Please--need help sizing pictures for posting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please--need help sizing pictures for posting

Caught some crappie today, took some pictures, but they are too large to post. They are around 600KB. Is there any way to downsize for posting-image quality, etc. ?

Thanks!!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the following URL and get the free download:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

The program is small enough to fit on a floppie disk, will size and clean-up your shots and is very easy to use.

PM if you have questions.
    ..Ike..
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

you can do it in microsoft paint, just make sure you make a copy of it first..........resize the copy.
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

I downloaded IrfanView, now I have to figure out to get the file (picture) down to about 130 Kb from 600!
    Also, the Microsoft paint, is that a free download, or does it already exist on my XP?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Husker ...

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHusker View Post
    Thanks guys!

I downloaded IrfanView, now I have to figure out to get the file (picture) down to about 130 Kb from 600!
    Also, the Microsoft paint, is that a free download, or does it already exist on my XP?

"Paint" is probably already on your computer (I think it comes bundled with all Windows systems).

There is another solution ... open a free Photobucket account. Choose the size of picture, before you download ... Large size 640x480 pixels. Then just click on the IMG address, bottom link under the picture, and it auto copies the link .... come here and right click in your message & Paste that link into your post. When you submit the post, the picture will appear. (Photobucket will downsize your pics, automatically, according to what size you tell it to download them at)

Just type what you have to say, hit the "Enter" button twice to put some space between your message & picture .... and it will be this size :

Big enough to see decent details, & small enough to allow dial-up users to load fairly quickly.

You can always use the "Preview Post" button, to see what your post & pics are going to look like .... before you hit the "Submit" button & post it. And you can play around with it, even before trying to post, by going to the "TEST" forum and giving it a trial run.

The above picture of mine, was taken with a Fuji Finepix A345 4.1megapixal digital ... downloaded onto my hard drive, straight from the camera ... then loaded into my Photobucket album, which is set to resize all my pictures to Large size (640x480 pixels).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

1. Open Infranview
    2. On the main menu - File
    3. File > Open and select your file
    4. on the main menu - Image
    5. Image > ReSize/ReSample
    6. I use 640 X 480 as the largest size to post you can play with it to see what you like
    IMPORTANT ! DO NOT FORGET THIS !
    7. File > SaveAs - select the folder you want to keep it in and give it a file name.

Infranview has a bad habit of putting files in weird places if you just use the 'save' button so I always use 'save as' and specify where I want the file.

START > Programs > Accessories (top of the list) > Paint

I look forward to seeing your pictures!
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint it very easy to use.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

just right click on the picture you want then select open with and click on paint,, then go up to image and click on resize, very simple to use
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your help!
    Ended up using Photobucket and was able to post pics, but will keep looking at other ways as the pics as posted are 144 KB (the largest allowed, but are pretty small) must have something to do with the camera setting when the pics were taken.

Sample as posted in another post:
    Attached Images Attached Images