Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnow Trap Bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow Trap Bait

Saw a minnow trap in Wal-Mart the other day and figured I'd give it a try. Whats the best bait to put in there if any of you know or use them. Thanks Billy

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    Saw a minnow trap in Wal-Mart the other day and figured I'd give it a try. Whats the best bait to put in there if any of you know or use them. Thanks Billy
    I tried bread once while at Lake Gaston. It didn't work very well. Hope some one comes up with something. I'd ike to try it again.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Fish heads work good for gudgeons. I wonder if crappie would bite em?
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    Fish heads work good for gudgeons. I wonder if crappie would bite em?
    Yes they will but I've always done better with minnows.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    I've heard a stick of chewing gum works great but have yet to try it for myself. Don't ask me if 4 out of 5 prefer sugarless gum.
    A dollar bill or a casting net has always been my preferred method.
    Good Luck!!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of bait shrimp work good or I take the shells from peel and eat shrimp and freeze the in a small plastic container and put the frozen block in the trap. My buddy uses cat crunchies in a mesh bag or a piece off panty hose, works too. I don't have a cat or wear panty hose so I use shrimp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe
    A couple of bait shrimp work good or I take the shells from peel and eat shrimp and freeze the in a small plastic container and put the frozen block in the trap. My buddy uses cat crunchies in a mesh bag or a piece off panty hose, works too. I don't have a cat or wear panty hose so I use shrimp.
    Hey Bill good to hear from you. Hows my jigs coming? No rush, just curious. I caught a 1.6 lb on one of your jigs the 14th over at Kerr.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I tore my shoulder up 2 weeks ago, lost a battle with 40' ladder, just getting use back in my hand, no fishing , no tying yet. I was going to to take off this week, but I'm saving vacation time till I get better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe
    I tore my shoulder up 2 weeks ago, lost a battle with 40' ladder, just getting use back in my hand, no fishing , no tying yet. I was going to to take off this week, but I'm saving vacation time till I get better.
    I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse than you did. Sounds like we both need to retire.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

When I put minnow traps in streams I usually use crakers or bread. But I have put hard pet fish food pellets in some pantyhose before and they work in the shallows of a pond. I don't wear pantyhose either but, I did get caught taking them from my wife for that purpose. Here's a tip, don't explain just smile and walk away. :D
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast