Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Another night fishin question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another night fishin question

On nights when the moon is bright and close to full, do ya'll ever do any good catching crappie on jigs around docks that aren't lit? I'm talking about casting and retrieving jigs. I know smitty posted a report a week or so ago about catching crappie in the trees at night with no light. Thanks for any responses!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    On nights when the moon is bright and close to full, do ya'll ever do any good catching crappie on jigs around docks that aren't lit? I'm talking about casting and retrieving jigs. I know smitty posted a report a week or so ago about catching crappie in the trees at night with no light. Thanks for any responses!
    I haven't really tried it a whole lot, but my friend and I went one time to Sinclair and we tried this one dock......the lights were separated by about 50 yards or more and he decided to cast right into the middle of the darkness and pulled out the biggest fish I have EVER seen come out of Sinclair 1 lb. 15 oz., and if you know Sinclair that is a HUGE fish for Sinclair, and that was post-spawn so it was all fish and no eggs.....

It might work, because fish will also strike because of reaction......and if they sense the water displacement from a jig that may trigger a strike, but I believe your odds are greatly increased if they can also use vision to help entice them to feed.....just my $ 0.02 worth.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

So your telling me I'm guaranteed a 1 lb 15 oz crappie on the first cast at a dark dock? Sweet! I'm going to hold ya to it!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up don't overlook lighted docks, either ...

I've caught Crappie around docks with those huge lights mounted on the sides, about a foot or so from the water's surface. But, they didn't come from the lighted water ... they came from the shaded water area, just about 3ft outside of the edge of the lighted water - and, more than likely, they came from underneath the dock. They were caught at about 3-4ft deep, over 30+ feet of water - along the side of the dock. The light is on the front corner of the dock ... the fish came from the side, around the corner from the light. ................cp

Post Thanks / Like

try some glow jigs hittem with a taser let that crappie see little.... like everone else say's fish the outer edges

Post Thanks / Like

Yes CP that is where I catch most of my crappie on the lights....right on the border between dark and light. I was just wondering if those unlit docks could produce on a somewhat moonlit night. Thanks for the replies!

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed on other species where you would fish artificial lights set up on your boat or dock when the moon is full and bright the concentration of fis is much less due to all of the natural light the fish spread out.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D