Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice out?

The Old Mud Guest

Default Ice out?

The ice just melted on protage lake in Houghton MI northern UP. New to crappie fishing and looking at catching some fish before the move in the shallows and get hit by all the local anglers. Water is still pretty cold ....any suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default No problem Catching Crappie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Mud View Post
    The ice just melted on portage lake in Houghton MI northern UP. New to crappie fishing and looking at catching some fish before the move in the shallows and get hit by all the local anglers. Water is still pretty cold ....any suggestions
    Locate your Crappie and use a red and white or black and chartreuse crappie jig in 1/16 ounce. One thing to remember Crappie like a moving target. Drop jig to bottom lift up tip and reel in slow. I have 40 pounds of crappie fillets in my freezer caught this year so far. I always use the slow retrieve, It works. I will send you the stuff you need if you request it. Let me know how you did. Ken Jones--Idaho Slab mastwer.

The Old Mud Guest

The weather and wind picked up and blew ice back into the launch. So I wound up trolling Lake Superior for some spring salmon. This morning I drove by the launch and it is clear now, I should be able to get out tonight. The crappie are a bit of a mystery on Portage, people get them in the shallows in the spring but then they move out and no one can ever find them. I fished the ice hard for them and never really had good success. I'll keep working at it. Thanks again for the tips. I have jigs and tubes and will give it a try tonight. I’ll keep you posted on how I do.