Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor

Do any of you hard wire your trolling motors, by passing the pulg in"s? Whats the pros and cons?
    born to Fish, forced to work

Post Thanks / Like

I hard wire mine to eliminate the plug and all that goes along with it. It keeps corrosion to a minimum and ensures full amperage to the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 22 footer That answers my questions..
    born to Fish, forced to work

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have two boats with 24v. tm's and both are wired direct. I haven't experienced any problems and I believe the fewer connections the less can go wrong. Make sure you use a heavy enough gauge wire to accommodate the amps and the length of the run. Use shrinkwrap over the butt connectors or shrinkwrap connectors themselves with electric grease on the wire ends will prevent moisture from causing a corroded connection. Electric grease on the ring connectors at the battery posts also helps. Taking your time and doing it right the first time will prevent alot of headaches and frustration down the road.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is hardwired, but I don't take it off to hunt. If a guy was going to need if taken off the boat occasionally, the plug would be pretty handy.

Post Thanks / Like

i carry spare trolling motor with me so if i have a breakdown. so i like mine with a plug on it. i guess its just your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris View Post
    I currently have two boats with 24v. tm's and both are wired direct. I haven't experienced any problems and I believe the fewer connections the less can go wrong. Make sure you use a heavy enough gauge wire to accommodate the amps and the length of the run. Use shrinkwrap over the butt connectors or shrinkwrap connectors themselves with electric grease on the wire ends will prevent moisture from causing a corroded connection. Electric grease on the ring connectors at the battery posts also helps. Taking your time and doing it right the first time will prevent alot of headaches and frustration down the road.
    zactly, and a 50 amp breaker is also a good idea!
    Stinkies Daddy