Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need a new pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a new pole.

Does anyone know of a pole that holds a normal reel where the line goes up through the inside of the pole and out the top? A friend told me about them and I wanted to try one out. Also, if anyone has used them give me your feedback... pros/cons.

Thanks,
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Wanna say Whitey Outlaw Series BnM does that.

Post Thanks / Like

buzz, BnM makes the santee light. This rods holds a normall reel. The line goes inside the rod about 18" above the reel and comes out the tip. I have one, good rod but like all BnM rods it feels tip heavey to me.

I use this type of rod just about 100% of the time. I take a fly rod that i like and remove the eyes. Take a 3/32 drill bit and drill a hole about 18" above the reel, Line the hole up with the reel. At the end of the tip you may have to remove about 2 to 6" of it to get a hole large enough to pass a piece of ty-wire thru it. Now find a brass sleeve that they use to make steel leaders with that will fit on the tip. These sleeves come in sizes from 2 to 9. I find them at Wally world. Tie your line to a piece of wire and feed the line thru the rod. Now you have one senstive tightlining rod. I use high vis braid. If a fish breaths on it you will feel it. Very good for heavey brush fishing. If you give a chance this will be the only way you want to fish. Let me know what you think

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm sounds like a good idea to me,what fly rod do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Bayou,

That sounds cool. What kinda fly rod do you use, brand and length? One piece or two? I'm trying to re-think my entire way of fishing. Gonna try to fish smarter. Also, what size braid do you use?

Thanks,
    Buzz
    Last edited by Buzz; 04-24-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: addl comment

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 9' or get a 10 jig pole that you like. I have been using a pflunger #5 and #7. I use a 6# braid either fire line or stren. I also converted a Sam heaton super senstive rod also. The old man that show me this was using fenwick blanks but cannot find them. A 9' rod will be about 8' 8" once you finish with it. Also keep in mind that the stiffer the rod the larger the tip will be which will require less tip removal due to it's diameter. I always use a 2 piece rod. When you reel the jig up to the tip, just pull the rod apart and let the tip with jig lay side the reel for storage or hook the jig to the cork handle.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Whitey Outlaw Rod from B&M. Works good except if you break off your line and have to get it back through the tip section and the entry area on the lower section. Think I may have lost the threading device. Just use light wire then attach your line to it and pull it through. Quite a chore.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the bnm pole that the line goes thru the center of the pole but the line was a pain when it broke to rethread so i purchased the plastic reel to maunt on the rod and the slip on eyes now love the pole for jigging all sold at http://www.bnmpoles.com/