Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleaning crappie

I just got done cleaning a bunch of crappie my buddy and i caught last night. My buddy had a different way of cleaning his fish, he cut the head off and gutted and scaled it, but didnt fillet it, instead he just left the skin on and left the fish whole. does anyone clean and eat crappie this way?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gacowboy
    I just got done cleaning a bunch of crappie my buddy and i caught last night. My buddy had a different way of cleaning his fish, he cut the head off and gutted and scaled it, but didnt fillet it, instead he just left the skin on and left the fish whole. does anyone clean and eat crappie this way?
    I used to clean and eat all fish that way. Then I discovered the electric filleting knife. I still like to eat Bream that way, but everything else gets filleted with the knife and skin cut off.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gacowboy
    A lot of people I know will do this with the smaller ones......it will waste less meat and some people really enjoy eating the tail after it has been deep fried....

I personally don't like whole fish, but lots of people actually like them better.

I like boneless filets.....

And another trick....you can actually knock the scales off with a water hose instead of using a scaler or a spoon...might save you a little time and effort.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Hey cowboy...I do that with any smaller crappie I catch. I like to have a few of the bodies in the freezer(that doesn't sound right) to have a little different way of eating crappie every once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    I like to have a few of the bodies in the freezer(that doesn't sound right) to have a little different way of eating crappie every once in a while.
    You are right....that really does not sound right!!!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I used to clean and eat all fish that way. Then I discovered the electric filleting knife. I still like to eat Bream that way, but everything else gets filleted with the knife and skin cut off.
    Hey Bill, what kind of knife do you have and how do you clean your fish? Was thinking about getting one. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    Hey Bill, what kind of knife do you have and how do you clean your fish? Was thinking about getting one. Billy
    I personally have an American Angler...I love it....not to mention the replacement blades are fairly easy to come by....you can get them both at Wal-Mart I believe.....probably about $ 20 or so....

I don't personally like the cordless ones...but that is my personal opinion....I don't like to rely on battery power all that much....I would rather use an electric and know I am going to get the full potential out of the knife than get halfway and have the battery die on me.....
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I thought cleaning them that way was the only way. Then a guy I used to fish with showed me the electric filet knife and what it could do for me. I have been hooked ever since. Every now and then, my bride or kids will sneak some little ones in that I have to be-head and gut. I usually give those to the lady across the street with few filets to boot. She always seems glad to get them, so no problems there. Personally, filets are the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishpro67
    I thought cleaning them that way was the only way. Then a guy I used to fish with showed me the electric filet knife and what it could do for me. I have been hooked ever since. Every now and then, my bride or kids will sneak some little ones in that I have to be-head and gut. I usually give those to the lady across the street with few filets to boot. She always seems glad to get them, so no problems there. Personally, filets are the way to go.
    I agree with you...but, you will be surprised at how many people actually prefer the whole fish instead of filets....
    ><)))*>

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    I've got an Electric Fisherman made by Mister Twister. Its AC and I've had it so long I have no idea where I got it. My fishin partner has one of the DC models (I forget brand) but anyway it works real good. I can find out if your interested. They do come in handy when there isn't any AC power around.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast