Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need aluminum rivets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need aluminum rivets

Does anyone know where I can buy some aluminum rivets for a project boat I am working on ? There are allot of loose rivets which I can rest but some have to be drilled out and new put in. If I could buy a hundred or so I would be happy. I've found several places but they all sell by bulk and I don't need a couple thousand rivets. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to take a befor and after picture of the boat....Thank's in advance....Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Have You Checked At Lowe's? I Think They Have Them In Hundred Packs.

Post Thanks / Like

why don't you just tighten them up. someone can hold a heavy piece if metal on one side while the other person taps the rivet with a hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatchetman View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy some aluminum rivets for a project boat I am working on ? There are allot of loose rivets which I can rest but some have to be drilled out and new put in. If I could buy a hundred or so I would be happy. I've found several places but they all sell by bulk and I don't need a couple thousand rivets. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to take a befor and after picture of the boat....Thank's in advance....Pete
    I asume you are wanting buck rivets? you can get them thru Grainger. i really think that replacing them is not a very good idea, if you dont have a riveter it is a real pita, if tou use a nail rivet you'll have to seal every 1 of them and they wont hold as good as the buck rivets because they are hollow. Also when you drill out a rivet you need to be pretty precise and have the correct drill size or you will end up with a hole that is to large, or oblong.
    Tightining is a better option!
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

They now make pop-rivets for use in a water type application. They don't have a hole in them like regular pop-rivets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    They now make pop-rivets for use in a water type application. They don't have a hole in them like regular pop-rivets.
    Intresting, can you find a link? i would really likr to see those dudes
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

PM me for any questions about shooting rivets Hatchet. I have shot thousands of them and done as much bucking. These guys are correct in telling you to "tighten up" your loose rivets. Just don't shoot them with too hard a gun and do not stay on it very long. I really don't know where to buy rivets as I have enough to last me a lifetime. You might want to work some sealer in with the loose rivet prior to shooting. There may be some you need to remove/replace. Those can be tricky starting out, but after a few, you'll know what to do and do just fine.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish5 View Post
    Have You Checked At Lowe's? I Think They Have Them In Hundred Packs.
    Best place to get them
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Hatchetman and Crappir Reaper check out this and let me know if they would work. Ferdi aka Fred
    www.hansonrivet.com/w28.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdi View Post
    Hatchetman and Crappir Reaper check out this and let me know if they would work. Ferdi aka Fred
    www.hansonrivet.com/w28.htm

This type of rivet works best in a non-water area, even though it does say "weather tight". Or an area where you cannot access the back side to be able to buck it. I realize that using a rivet like this would be way easy, but defeats the purpose of strength. They are way better than your basic 'Pop" rivet. You can use them. They are basically a pop rivet/blind rivet. Now, if you had a "huckbolt", they are usually a strong rivet that works on the same basic principle as the "pop", but with a twist. Blind rivets could be fine in certain areas as long as there is room for them. Vacuum up any shavings before you cover the area. You don't want a shaving eating a hole from vibration on down the road.
    I am currently re-vamping an early model 17' aluminum boat. It did not have a forward live well and I have fabricated some panels and am ready to shoot the bottom to the front. I still need to fabricate a drain plug area for it. I've had this boat for about 9 months now, and am just now getting around to working on it. I'll post pics later.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 04-24-2008 at 09:30 PM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast