Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I Have a Theory...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Have a Theory...

I've heard the debate before about white light vs green light. I know some swear by white, some by green, and some swear it doesn't matter. Now I'm new to night fishing, but here's my theory: white lights (because most white lights are halogen, or some other form of hotter-burning light) work better in the winter because the fish are attracted to the light AND the heat, whereas green lights (or any form of LED lights) work better in the Summer because they burn cooler and don't put out any more heat than is necessary.

Please don't turn this into "_____ is better all the time. Period." We've all heard that before. But if your experience can either support or refute the above theory about lights/heat in Winter vs Summer, please chime in. If you use one color (more importantly, one bulb TYPE) year-round and it produces better certain times of the year (or just as well year-round) -- this is what I want to hear about. If you've used both; even better.
    Last edited by DC Crappie Kid; 04-24-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Default White light and green light

DC Crappie kid i can only add my opinion on the summer night fishing theory.
    I have my best luck using white light on the surface and green light submerged. Now I cannot say anything about the winter gig because I don't fish in the winter around my area. I don't really care for the cold winters in ohio any more.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know that this OPINION I am about to give is correct or not, just a thought.

I know that when a cold front blows through and drops the air temp 20 or 30 dgres after a long period of warmth, the very next morning the water temp is about the same as it was before the cold front blew thru. If it stays cold for a period of time, the water temp drops.

In addition, if the water temp is say 71 dgrs in the morning when you first put in after it had ALL NIGHT to cool off, it will generally only be a couple dgres warmer at the end of the day, say 73 to 74 at most. And that is after the SUN warmed it all day long.

SO, I would have to conclude that a body of water, like a river or lake, takes A LOT to change its' temp significantly. I wouldn't THINK that a couple light bulbs would make any difference at all. Much less the color of one over the color of another be enough to make any difference whatsoever. I could be wrong, just my opinion.

PS I love to theorize like this too! It's how I learn. Good topic!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Kman, I don't think the lights warm the water as a whole, at all. I guess I'm thinking the critters might hold tighter to hot lights in the winter, after the shine of the light has drawn them in. Maybe it would have been better for me at ask "do they hold tighter to lights in Winter than in Summer?" But I felt the need to distinguish between "hot" lights (like halogens) and LEDs. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha!

Maybe so.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting observations,something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

Default lights

I've used lanterns,clamp on's with 12v RV bulbs, halogen,and green. And to tell you my experince it does not matter as long as it puts out light. I have even tried green on one side of the boat and white on the other and one night the green does better and one night the white does better so for me it has not mattered. The only thing I can say for sure is I think the green light may take a little longer to bring up bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the green light all year and have found it to work just as good in the winter as in the summer.. it just works..
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

We have a flood light at the end of our dock about 2 ft about the water. It's white light. The light seems to attract a lot of bugs; the bugs attract the minnows and the minnows attract the larger fish (usually bass).
    We have a Christmas tree sunk in the water with the top tied to the dock directly under the light. At night we see 50-100 minnows around the tree under the light. The bass and crappie (and unfortunately gar) hang around just outside the light and make a run through at the minnows when they feel like it.
    We usually catch most of the fish just outside of the light.
    Ya'll be safe!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funfishing View Post
    I've used lanterns,clamp on's with 12v RV bulbs, halogen,and green. And to tell you my experince it does not matter as long as it puts out light. I have even tried green on one side of the boat and white on the other and one night the green does better and one night the white does better so for me it has not mattered. The only thing I can say for sure is I think the green light may take a little longer to bring up bait.
    Interesting...so you've seen preferences for both lights on different occasions, but no distinguishable patterns for which one/when?