Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Servicing a MerControl box

Post Thanks / Like

Default Servicing a MerControl box

Gents,

Been fishing a bunch this spring, but I'm beginning to suspect that my control box is showing it's age. I suspect the cams are pretty worn, as idle in neutral changes every time I throttle back. Sometimes the motor idles fine in neutral and at other times, it sputters and dies. I can also see the brass fittings going into the control tilt up/down every time I throttle up/back.

Another suspect cause is the idle lever being pulled up every time I come out of max reverse (like putting in).

Anyhow, I am wondering if anybody on here has ever taken apart their MerControl and replaced cams/gear or whatnot. Advice? Recommendations before I get started?

It's an old unit (mid-1970's) and any thoughts ya'll have would be appreciated. I probably won't fool with it until hunting season is here, but if I get enough confidence I won't kill the boat during prime fishing, I might attack it over a weekend this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I had mine apart a few years ago and there isn't a lot in there, at lease it wasn't in mine.
    The brass part on the control cables that stick out the back, moved on mine also. As best as I recall, the lever was alum and was the cam part and it worked against a S/S spring loaded roller for the indent.. Mine was a white Merc control and the insides may be different in yours... But you may be having a carb problem is why it doesn't want to idle..

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC