Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dock shooting question

Post Thanks / Like

Question Dock shooting question

Just wondering what the popular weights are being used. I have been using 1/16 oz but would like to go lighter (less splash) but I just can't seem to get any distance on the little buggers. I am about to order some new jig heads to tie onto and was wondering what others use.
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Fowlmood ....

Quote Originally Posted by fowlmood77 View Post
    Just wondering what the popular weights are being used. I have been using 1/16 oz but would like to go lighter (less splash) but I just can't seem to get any distance on the little buggers. I am about to order some new jig heads to tie onto and was wondering what others use.

Most shooters I know, are using 1/32 - 1/24 - 1/16oz jigheads, for dock shooting. Myself, I use 1/16oz in most cases. I will go to 1/32oz, if I find the fish suspending shallow under the dock ... but, usually only if there's not much wind to contend with.

I don't worry too much about the "splash" factor ... it get's their attention
    But, seriously ... I've shot jigs into the sides, undersides, posts, and other portions of a dock, several times over --- then get a jig to go where I want it to, and still catch fish. If they can tolerate all that noise and commotion, a little splash ain't gonna send 'um scurrying off :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fowlmood77 View Post
    What pound test do you use?
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

Same as Pappy for me and like 4lb line. One thing I like to also have is multiple set ups in color and weight when one quits workin simply pick up another pole and keep shooting.It can make the difference sometimes.
    Last edited by Outlaw1&2; 04-23-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i use 6# mr. crappie hi-viz line. it works great. i catch 95% of my crappie on a 1/24oz. jiffy jig. i use others on occassion but i always go back to jiffy jigs. it always seems to catch more than anything else i try. jiffy jigs are just like hal fly's , sun fly's and jelly belly looking jigs. just find a brand that works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/32 oz head with a Tiny BassAssassin. I like the 10lb Ripcord Si. in yellow

Post Thanks / Like

1/32oz with 4lb.....gotta love watching the line twitch

Post Thanks / Like

never did any dockshooting until last weekend, practiced a little in my driveway and thouhgt it was pretty neat, didn`t catch any though.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

lol...good one cat man..

Post Thanks / Like

I use a little stiffer rod for shooting than casting. It will make a difference. I have a little GLoomis that will launch one out of sight. Control control!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast