Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Orvis Fly Shops?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Orvis Fly Shops?

One just opened in Myrtle Beach, SC and I went to it the other day... It was like 75% clothes and baggage carrying stuff... I was hoping I had lucked out and had a fly shop that carried a lot of fly tying stuff open nearby but no such luck. There was just a small amount of basic materials, a decent selection of hooks, ect. There weren't even but about 15 different fly rods set up and about the same amount of reels. Is this normal for an Orvis shop? There's no place that carries a good amount of fly tying materials in the area except Bass Pro, I'm sure they'd do a lot of business if they had more than just clothes, a few rods and reels, and pre-tied flies.

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty typical.
    Steve
    Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing
    Native Watercraft-endorsed guide
    gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Figures. Oh well, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have placed several orders direct from Orvis reciently. Get very good service. I am sure that a large inventory is cost prohibitive. Non moving inventory is very expensive. the bean counters for these corp. have this figured out.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparel sells, flies don't. Your description sounds about right. The one up by me is the same but they stock about 1/3 of their shop with actual fly fishing gear and tying because it's within 60 miles of the Shenandoah valley (brookie heaven). You'll find bunches of women in there because the clothes are expensive and rumored to be important somehow.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by backtocrappie View Post
    Apparel sells, flies don't. Your description sounds about right. The one up by me is the same but they stock about 1/3 of their shop with actual fly fishing gear and tying because it's within 60 miles of the Shenandoah valley (brookie heaven). You'll find bunches of women in there because the clothes are expensive and rumored to be important somehow.
    I can't stand that... "all my friends have it and I gotta get it too!!!" a $40 Polo-Shirt isn't going to buy you food or get you enough gas to get back home
    Proud Veteran, United States Marines

Post Thanks / Like

I had heard all the hype about Orvis so I told my flyfishin buddy lets go there for lunch. He is so excited and we load up in his truck and take off that way. We get there and he says the fly fishing stuff is back here, lots of rods (every rod they sell) and stuff. We get back there and they have 6 or 7 rods a 12 x 12 area with reels and tackle and a very very small section with tying materials. He says "they had more than this before they moved to this new store". But, they did have two floors of clothing and a very nice shotgun display.

To say the least, I was disappointed in Orvis. They have a new fishing manager now who says he's going to make it better. I'll keep praying.
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro usually has a good selection of mid priced tying materials and some really nice vices. You can also get catalogs from several good suppliers, Jan's Netcraft comes quickly to mind. But, I have to tell you that all the stuff comes from one place. Right here in the Ozarks. Mountain Home, Arkansas is the home of the number 1 wholesaler of fly tying stuff, Wapsi. Tom Smucker and his sons, along with T.L. and the packing ladies, do a great job. If you get this way, you must take the tour of the place where all the stuff we use is made. Tom started his business many years ago on his back porch dying furs and feathers in an old washing machine. Guess what, they still use em. No matter where you order materials from, it all comes from Wapsi. Tight lines.
    If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures View Post
    One just opened in Myrtle Beach, SC and I went to it the other day... It was like 75% clothes and baggage carrying stuff...
    Yeah, that's pretty typical. There are two Orvis stores here in Atlanta. Both carry mostly non-fishing products, but the fly fishing sections are very well stocked: lots flies, tying materials, reels, lines and rods like the new Helios (drool, drool!)

Atlanta has a lot of fly fisherman, so I guess it depends on what section of the country you're in.

Post Thanks / Like

For flys try KBE.com-Colorado. Good flys at good prices. For great lines (2nds but quality 2nds and I never had a problem with the lines), so cheap you can change every year - Fortackle.com-Colorado. Orvis and other high end shops make me think the people are more interested in dressing than fishing. Independent fly shops in my area carry equipt plus tying equipt etc-etc. But you won't find these shops except around areas where fly fishing is popular.