Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Crappie in my Pond

CLASH Guest

Default Keeping Crappie in my Pond

I have a pond on my property that is about 5 feet deep (right now. it changes during the time of year) and probaly 100 feet across. It has trees growing in it and is pretty full year around. So if I put some cappie in it will it support them?

What do i need to keep carppie in it?
    Last edited by CLASH; 07-27-2004 at 09:22 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down small pond & crappie ...

It has been noted by the Fish and Wildlife guys, that a "pond" of less than 50 acres is not a good candidate for Crappie. They just breed too fast and become too numerous for smaller waters to adequately contain. They eat themselves out of house and home, then become "old" but never "big".
    Also, I would think that you would have to be pretty far South, to keep any fish in a body of water that was only 5ft deep. I could be wrong, though ... I'm just not that familiar with shallow ponds.
    But, that being said - I'd still check with your local DNR or Fish & Wildlife Dept ... they would be able to give you the most correct advice on what species of fish could thrive in such a body of water. .........luck2ya ..cp

CLASH Guest

made a mistake the pond is actually 100 feet across. and the depth varieres alot. Right now it is about 5 feet deep.

Well if not carppie what else could that pond support? Right now it has frogs and turtles.
    Last edited by CLASH; 07-27-2004 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It might hold some koi gold fish.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASH
    made a mistake the pond is actually 100 feet across. and the depth varieres alot. Right now it is about 5 feet deep.

Well if not carppie what else could that pond support? Right now it has frogs and turtles.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CLASH

Sounds like the perfect place to raise some Rosy Red Fathead Minnows to keep you supplied with bait.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pond

I'm in the far N.E. of Pennsylvania, and have a pond about your size and depth. So depending on where you live, we might have much cooler temps than you. I doubt my surface temps get much past the mid 70's in the summer. In the winter, depending on snow cover, I might get 16"s of ice max. I've got a hodge podge of fish in my pond, sunnies, bass, bullheads, and crappie. Most fish were caught by hook and line locally and released into my pond. The fish that seem to do the best are the LM bass. They reproduce well and seem to have good growth for as far north as we are. I think the sunnies and such are kept in check by the bass. Bullheads (catfish) population is just stable. As far as crappie go, I don't see any indication of their population increasing, nor any significant growth of the ones we catch. Any fishing we do in our pond is catch and release, and I have put crappie in there 10 to 12 years ago. I don't know how long crappie live, but I've certainly never caught a crappie over 10"s In the 14 years I've had the pond I have never had what I would call a fish kill. Maybe a few times a year I might see a floater but not often. Course maybe I got a snappin turtle taking care of thing. I would say your pond really isn't suited for raising crappie, but they would probably survive in there with limited numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

The pond here where I live is only about 2 acres, the depth can't be much more than 5 or 6 feet deep. It ices over in the winter and the fish do well. I would say you should go ahead with stocking it with crappie, so long as you also have bass and catfish to keep the population in check.

CLASH Guest

Well. I have been stocking it with fish from a nearby lake. So far there are 3 crappie in there and 4 white bass. And before I put those fish in there I found that fish were already living in my pond. I caught 2 large mouth bass.

So I will just have to wait and see how things go. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Ideal depth and etc. depends a lot on your location. The experts do not recommend stocking crappie in smaller ponds like that. A bass / bluegill combo might do ok. I liked the suggestion of stocking it with Rosey Red fathead minnows.

Lots of pond related advice over on www.pondboss.com. It is another great site I check often.

Post Thanks / Like

I recall reading something about needing 8 ft of water in order for Crappie to survive after an Ice out here in Iowa. I don't know about your area, or even if that is true. I remember fishing a small 1.75 acre Park Board pond (built for Ice Skating) & catching small Crappie in it year after year. I know it wasn't much deeper than 5' because I busted through the thin ice one year (it's a wonder I have lived so long) while skating.

I do know that Crapie can still get to over slab size in small ponds though. A friend and I were fishing in a 1 acre pond that has large bass -over 5lbs, and large 'gills & Bullheads around 1- 1 1/2 lbs when he caught a Jumbo Crappie fishing on the bottom with a worm. The fish weighed in at 2.76lbs!
    This little pond was located outside of a factory which cannot be seen from any road, and it is about 20' deep. I never have seen another Crappie taken from that water in 24 years.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast