Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is he that good or me just that bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is he that good or me just that bad?

So I'm fishing yesterday with my normal fishing buddy and like usual, I can't go out without two boxes full of jigs, 6 dozen minnows and at least 6 poles ranging from 5 feet to 14. I'm thinking we are doing o.k. because we've got about 9 fish with one pretty nice one right at a pound. Here comes this old guy. (no disrespect, I promise. I've learned sooooo much from "old guys") He stops and asks how we are doing and me with my nice bass boat with all the fancy crap fish finders , side scan, minnows, jigs and 50 poles tells him how good we are doing and show him a couple of fish. Now he reaches into his box and starts pulling out 14 fish that could eat the ones in my boat. He is fishing a small aluminum boat with a small motor, ONE pole and jigs only.

Is this just something that comes with experience and wisdom or are some people just born with it? I know he hasn't brought out and sunk structure because its way too far from the nearest landing so he's just fishing what he's found. He was very friendly and even showed me a sunken tree top just 20 feet from my boat. Just wish I had someone here like him to teach me.

Oh well, let me know what ya think.

(By the way, I'm no young buck. Be 38 in July.)

Thanks,
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Well, some folks rely too much on electronics and forget to "think like a fish". Or he may just be so familiar with the area over the years he knows the "sweet spots" I know around here alot of the older folks know what the land looked like before it was flooded for Falls lake and can put you on old ponds, graveyards, building remains/chimenys or farm equipment left behind and put you on fish in seemingly open water with no electronics...
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Is this just something that comes with experience and wisdom or are some people just born with it?Buzz
    I am praying that it is experience, there would be hope for me yet. If ya gotta be born with it, I am up the creek without a paddle.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

I think luck AND experience comes into play alot of times. But look at the CRAPPIE MASTER winner on Logan Martin lake here in Al, The winner was an older man fishing alone & just using jigs:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

He's that good. Not saying you are not. This old man knows everything about the lake. Their patterns and the bait they perfer at this time of the year.
    The fellow who taught me the most about crappie fishing is a man I have never sat in a boat with. Just has so much knowledge and have asked alot of questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Here comes this old guy. (no disrespect, I promise.
    Oh well, let me know what ya think.

Buzz
    It is like my Grandpa told me when I was 14 or so, "In the end, old age and treachery will outsmart youth and vigor every time!"

You have to live and learn. Fancy boats, electronics and the latest tackle are only tools to use the knowledge that is gained by experience.
    Endangering the crappie way of life in two different centuries.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I did learn from this guy is something I also watched in Ernest Paty's crappie fishing video. He pulled up to a spot and fished for what seemed like 30 seconds, was probably a couple of minutes. If he didn't catch a fish immediately, he pulled up and moved to a different spot. He was also fishing with that hi-vis line titelining jigs. He told me he's not gonna watch a cork all day, if its gonna bite, I want to feel it. I guess it helps also that he's retired. He said "I only do one thing.....I crappie fish". He told me he fishes every lake from here to north Mississippi. (By the way, we were fishing in Mifin Lake.)

I don't know if confidence has anything to do with successful fishing but you could see it in his eyes. He was gonna catch fish.

I'm gonna keep going back and looking for him and see if he wants to mentor this 37 year old punk.:D I sure hope he does.

Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

I got one thing to say "You don't get old being no fool". :D Now who can tell me who made that saying famous???? I don't think you will get the right answer, but you might?????????????????? :D
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman_Wantabe View Post
    I got one thing to say "You don't get old being no fool". :D Now who can tell me who made that saying famous???? I don't think you will get the right answer, but you might?????????????????? :D
    Also the saying goes " You don't get old being no fool, alot of young wise men dead in the ground" now that should tell the story.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

How about Richard Pryor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast