Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap real or line, ( or just who's behind it?? )

Post Thanks / Like

Default cheap real or line, ( or just who's behind it?? )

I purchased a couple crappie combos at Bass Pro that were about $30 a piece. I spooled them with clear sten 6 lb. test. I usually alway use a 1/16 oz. jig head and twister tail . After casting for a day or less seems like the line gets spooled back loose and kinks up and just plain quits casting as long and smooth.* I don't know if you chalk this up to cheap equipment or is it's just how i'm using it. Could it be the rod?? Suggestion welcome.....Thank You!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My spelling is twisted a bit too. REEL !!

Post Thanks / Like

This is just my opinion, and I know some people will disagree. Bass Pro does make some quality equipment. I have been very satisfied with some the products I have bought there. I have owned some of the cheaper rods and reels that the make, and I think they are all junk. They are made very cheap. When you spend alot of time on the water having better equipment makes for more enjoyable time.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Could be a couple of things....have you overspooled the line on the reels? and did you wind the line on the spool correctly?

Stren 6lb is as good as any other fishing line, so I would't attribute the problem to the line. As far as the reel combo's go, being that they are new they should still work pretty good despite the overall quality. Seems like with the cheaper brands of equipment I have more issues with their longevity.

You can always try running the line off the reel at the lake and then winding it back, that usually helps take any kinks out of it.

Lastly, I've always conditioned myself when casting a spinning reel to flip the bail over by hand at the completion of my cast. A bit hard to get used to a first but now I do it without even noticing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad View Post

Lastly, I've always conditioned myself when casting a spinning reel to flip the bail over by hand at the completion of my cast. A bit hard to get used to a first but now I do it without even noticing.
    I've found this one tip to be the most useful to me - especially when casting light baits. Manually flipping the bail back stops excess line from paying out - and that excess line is usually what ends up making those nasty loops.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with badbrad "Lastly, I've always conditioned myself when casting a spinning reel to flip the bail over by hand at the completion of my cast. A bit hard to get used to a first but now I do it without even noticing." this is more important in lower quality reels.
    Last edited by crappiehuntr; 04-21-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    ITS LIKE BASEBALL PITCHIN,HITTIN,CATCHIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4 View Post
    I've found this one tip to be the most useful to me - especially when casting light baits. Manually flipping the bail back stops excess line from paying out - and that excess line is usually what ends up making those nasty loops.
    This is the same thing I have found, hard to get yourself to do at first but does cure most of the problem.. All you can do is try it and see what happens, fixed my problems

Post Thanks / Like

after you make your cast and flip the bail over, then pull any slack line tight by hand. i used to have lots of problems. i started doing this about 10 years ago and it has almost completely eliminated those loops for me. after awhile you get to where you do it and dont even think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Zebco Bill Dance Crappie Spinning Rod and Reel ultralight that BP sells for $25 - $30. I usually use 6lb test. I do a lot of crappie fishing from the docks, and this works well for me to maneuver around boats, cables, etc.

Mike
    "Jackpot"
    Last edited by Jackpot; 04-21-2008 at 10:46 AM.
    Webmaster for: http://www.slabbuster.com and other fine sites.

Post Thanks / Like

I always respool my reels with 4 lb Spiderwire line. The line the factory uses is usually cheap and has a lot of memory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast