Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Crappie???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Crappie???

Who fishes for crappie at night? What is the best water temp for this and how do you do it?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you use for bait?

Post Thanks / Like

I use minnows at night. Either tightline or under a flourescent bobber. A lot of people use submesible lights to attract plankton, which attracks the bait fish, which attracks Crappie and other fish. Usually around bridges pilings or points in open water if you are using a submersible light. I, myself prefer no lights in the water and use a Black light up top to illuminate my line and bobbers. If you use clear blue flourescent line, it will glow under the black light and you can see the slightest of bites. If the black light is good enough, you will be able to see a bobber at 60' pretty good. I have a submersible white light in the boat, but rarely use it. The black light keeps the bugs around it and I use a clip on L.E.D. flashlight on the bill of my cap to use for tying and other things inside the boat. Once I'm set, the L.E.D. gets switched off and I enjoy the night. Under a black light, it is easier to see the bite better than in broad daylight.
    Rango has written an excellent thread on Night Fishing and has become Crappie.Coms "Guru" of the Nightstalk. You'll find his latest version here... http://crappie.com/index.php?option=...id=44&Itemid=2
    He hits on several key areas of Night fishing and is indepth on the subject. Read the article, then go fishing. It should be all you need to be able to have a successful trip.
    Good Luck!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

In my boats, I usually install a couple of regular 110 volt household outlets that I connect to the battery. This way, if I use a clamp on light with an RV bulb, all I have to do is plug it into the outlet and it can still be used around the house with a 110 volt bulb in it. I also will install two cigarette lighter plugs to use for spotlights and such. I use old 14 gauge orange extension cord wire cut to length to supply the jacks and outlets with a clamp on each end. With todays polorized outlets, you can even wire them to make sure Positive and Negative are in the same locations on each outlet so as not to cause a dead short.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

i use a submersible light and two clamp on lights that i modified to have alligator clips on the wire end. I clamp the incandescent lights to my pontoon railing and angle them out over the surface of the water tilted down at about 60degs. I sink my submersible right between the two beams. wait about 30mins the insects will be thick but so will the bait fish. once the bait fish start to swarm "this is called the bait ball" fish on the outside edges. use shiner minnows first, them go to jigs. Make sure you don't use your boat's power source for the lights or you may be swimming home. if you get a good night you will bring in a good batch of fish. bring plenty of tackle you will need it. catfish and bass will hit your lines too. hope this helps,
    mark fleagle

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest reading Rango's article. Ive seen what the man can do in just 4 and a half hours time.

Post Thanks / Like

What about water temps?

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the best depth to set a submersible light?
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a typical bass boat battery set up (2 batteries for the trolling motor, one for starting), you can use one or both of the trolling motor batteries to run the lights. Just be sure to connect one light to one battery. (You don't want to run 24 volts to a light).
    I run one flourescent off one battery and one halogen off the other and have never come close to draining either battery. (group 27 deep cycle). I still have the starting battery just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigSandyRookie View Post
    What's the best depth to set a submersible light?
    I've been told (although I'm no expert at night fishing) that 2 feet deep works just fine no matter what depth you're sitting in.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast