Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Since when?

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Since when?

Not that it breaks my heart and ruins fly fishing for me, but. When did the fly fishing community (not just here) go from the terminology of patterns and materials to recipes and ingredients? Are we tying flies or making brownies? Or am I the only person who noticed or even cares? I digress.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, was before my time. Sure makes me hungry though. :rolleyes:
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by backtocrappie View Post
    When did the fly fishing community (not just here) go from the terminology of patterns and materials to recipes and ingredients?
    Probably about the same time they dropped the "man" from "fly fisherMAN" and began referring to themselves as "fly fishers".

Never understood that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Always have heard all those terms except "ingredients". Patterns and materials is correct terminology. Recipe seems more like a term used for asking for a pattern with a bill of materials rather than recipe as a substitute for pattern. I have not seen a fly pattern with the heading of "recipe" yet (would be incorrect as would ingredients).

Usually a fly pattern is given as a "fly name" heading and then "materials" heading under the name but there are occasions where there is only the name of the fly as a heading and no materials heading with the materials list under it (either way should be correct).

Yes we are now using the term fly angler rather than fly fisherman since we do have women fly anglers now more than in the past where there were few if any women in the sport of fly fishing. I don't see what the big deal is really. To me a woman can be a fly fisherman just like a man. Man (as in Mankind) can denote a man or a woman in old English. In our modern world we use the term human rather than man or mankind. Its all just semantics.:rolleyes:
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Default fly recipies

Autumn on the Spey by Kelson. This book, written about 150 years ago, is one of the oldest sources of patterns for the antique Spey flies.