Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gar

Yesterday I was fishing an area we usualy catch crappie each spring after the fish spawn and I didnt catch a fish. While fishing I took a break and went up on top of my pontoon boat to eat a sandwich and enjoy the view. When I got up on top of the boat I was able to see (with the help of polarized glasses) about 25, 4 foot long gar.
    My question is with all of those 4 foot long fish with sharp teeth hanging arround, would that scare the crappie off?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say yes. But then again I have no solid proof. But a four foot gar is a big fish and is very capable of taking out a 10 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

The basspro shop in Orlando Florida has a decent sized gar in the aquariam with some good sized crappie and sunfish. Seems they like smaller fish but I'm not sure. If they were alligator gars then I'm sure they could gobble down some crappie though. The bait shop I used to go to has a mounted alligator gar and it was just about manatee size. It sure was impressive but looked like it was straight out of a horror movie

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe its my imagination, but it seems like when they are around, the fish quit biting.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I know for a fact that northern pike sure turns them off or scatters um. Was catching a bunch of crappie back in Minnesota bout 30 years ago and they quit. I hooked and landed about a 10 lb. pike. Got luckey there.

Post Thanks / Like

I would sure be scared if I was a crappie and this thing came near me. This came out of the Mississippi River last year. Here is the link for the story. http://www.thejump.net/fishing/1fish...ish-pic-15.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

the weekend of april 9 I was fishing with a buddy and my son, trolling for crappie in Lake Sinclair, Georgia when a good size fish hit the jig, we both thought that it was a striper or a hybrid, until it surfaced. The fish that we caught on 4 lb test line was a 12 lb 11 oz 42 inch long-nose gar.

the picture is of me holding the fish and my son.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Life is what you make of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like your son is rearranging the tackle box, with that pile of jigs next to him.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

yes he did. took me all of two hours to get them all back in straight and organized. But it was the only way I could keep his little butt dry. if you can't tell from the clothes, I had just had to fish him out of the water after he fell in! but he was wearin his life jacket, so no harm done. And he has a fish story to tell about how his dad caught the monster fish, he he!!
    Life is what you make of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    I would sure be scared if I was a crappie and this thing came near me. This came out of the Mississippi River last year. Here is the link for the story. http://www.thejump.net/fishing/1fish...ish-pic-15.htm
    I'm not scurrd. Yeah, right! That would make Jaws stay his distance!

Nice pic BTW. Thanks for sharing it. <,*}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast