Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lure Size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lure Size

Anybody have any thoughts on what size lure to use early in the season? I have mostly 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs and 1-1/2" and 2" tubes etc. Do the crappie prefer smaller early in the year, or does it even make any difference?

I've got some really cool Southern Pro Minnow Tubes I'm dying to try out but haven't had the opportunity because of all the other cool stuff I stocked up on over the long winter. :D

By the way, I hit Macbride on Thursday and got skunked. Weather started out pretty decent but then got windy and cold. Fish seemed pretty unenthused, to say the least. Try again this weekend probably.

Post Thanks / Like

All I use 95% of the time is Southern pro tubes, 1 1/2 inch long. Slow rolling a twister might be productive till it warms a little more then its jigs or bobber and minnow.
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's been slow here in the Des Moines area too. I try everything this time of year just to find out what they're hitting. But for sure it's slip float and minnow as the weather warms.
    I will defend her still today!

TeamAdcraft is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Bobber & Minnow now. Until the water warms up to about 58-60.. then I always use a 1/32 jig..

Try Rosey Red monniows with your normal minnow setup...
    2X In-Fisherman Magazine Regional Crappie Anglers of the Year
    Official Provider of the Crappie.com State Decals

GO RAZORBACKS!!

Post Thanks / Like

if you dont have rosey reds you can add a little red cake dye to minnow bucket the minnows will turn red quick.

Post Thanks / Like

What's a rosey red minnow and where do you get them?

Post Thanks / Like

Its just a red minnow, kinda like a goldfish. Some people swear by them, some dont. I never use them around here. I like the natural look. You should be able to get them at bait shops. Maybe Fin and Feather has them?
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time