Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Who spawns first, bass or crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who spawns first, bass or crappie?

Was at the lake today and saw numerous large mouth bass up in the shallows in pairs looking like they are starting to spawn. Also saw a bunch of small newly hatched something swimming around in large groups. One thing I didnt find though was any crappie up shallow looking to spawn, I still think its too early for them up here in PA. I remember seeing a post on here before about which fish spawns first and I thought the crappie spawned first but I sure hope I'm wrong. Anyone know who spawns when?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawn

THE BASICS FOR CRAPPIE: "Crappie spawn at a temperature between 60 and 65 degrees. Bass spawn between 65 and 70 degrees," said Alabama fisheries biologist Jim McHugh.

Although there is only a variance of five degrees in spawning temperatures, what goes on in those five degrees is very important.

"Crappie move out of their deep-water homes and into more-shallow water at about 60 degrees," McHugh says. "The male crappie come into shallow water first and start fanning the beds in preparation for the females to spawn. Expect to see the male crappie in shallow, 60- to 63-degree water. The females begin to move into the shallow water when the water temperature is 64 or 65 degrees."

McHugh said fishermen also should remember that not all crappie spawn at the same time. The spawn can last for up to six weeks.

http://www.anglerguide.com/articles/537.html

Post Thanks / Like

Last year the water was clear enough for me to see spawning beds in the shallows at the back of a cove. The crappies came in first. I was able to clearly see 3 beds and occaisionally see 2 deeper ones. There was a cold snap and the crappies disappeared, coming back to the beds in about a week after a warm up. Within a few days the crappies left the area and spawning bass appeared.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

agree with the above. crappie then bass!