Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "to catch a minnow" by I.B. Askins'

Post Thanks / Like

Default "to catch a minnow" by I.B. Askins'

I stopped by the bait shop yesterday on the way to the lake to buy a few dozen crappie minnows @1.25 a dozen.* This price seems fair enough, and probably worth it since I don't have alot of time to go get my own.* This is the question I was getting to.* How hard is it , to take a light and throw net and go out after dark and catch a few minnows. Can you catch enough crappie sized minnows to make it worth the effort or are we just wasting time.ANy helpful comments surely appreciated and will be mulled over with great care.**** Thanks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We have experimented with catching our own minnows a couple of times. After you do that, you don't mind paying for them at the bait store.

We got a night light, and first time out with it, we were just amazed at how the minnows swarmed around it. It was mesmerizing to watch them, so naturally we figured all we had to do was get a dip net, a cast net, or a trap, and we'd have all the free bait we wanted.

It never really panned out like that. We've caught some bait, but those minners know how to stay out of trouble. Even with a large diameter, long handled dip net, you can only catch a lucky few. The cast net was just too much trouble to throw from the boat: you get water everywhere, it's hard to cast it next to the boat, and the light/cord always seems to be in the way. It's easy to drop a trap over the side, wait a while, and see what comes up, but it's just not a dependable way to get bait.

But don't let me talk you out of it! On those nights when the minnows are swarming around the light, it is totally cool to just stare into the water and watch them do their thing. We still have lines out, but for us, the entertainment is the minnows; it's kinda like watching the camp fire. Every now and then, a crappie or bass will flash through the light, and it will look like lightning. When you finally turn off the green glow and head back to the ramp, you'll feel like the aliens just released you from the mother ship.

Other people might have more successful stories. I hope some guys will weigh in with some good tips!

Post Thanks / Like

I always catch mine in a creek with a 10 ft seign.Roll up end's to about 4 ft and dip small area's where you see small minnow's.Sucker or silverside minnow,does'nt matter to me.I have a pond with a minnow cage in it and keep it filled.It is alot easier with 2 people seigning minnows though.Best time to catch them is when fish not biting.I alway's have a ready supply.I also use minnow cages with a onion cut in half for bait.Sure hope this help's.Search this site awhile and you're sure to find some more info.

Post Thanks / Like

when we caught ours we would get the net ready to throw, then we would cut off the lights and throw the net out. we had a lot better luck doing this than throwing the net while the lights were still on.

Post Thanks / Like

Go down to the local Wally World and for about 8 bucks get you a minnow trap.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I need a cast net with 1/8" mesh to catch me some minnows, I've been using the regular 3/8".... atleast I get a workout from it :p
    Proud Veteran, United States Marines

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all your help. Sounds like some good ideas there. I think I will try to net a few one night and let you know how it comes out. thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The minnows you will catch in a lake are surely to be shad and that is a whole new set of circumstance's to deal with.They are hard to keep alive,but you can do it.I meant to say minnow trap on my earlier post,but i said cage.Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shop

Shop around and ask if you can buy them by the pound. Easier to keep than try to catch. But if you try catching some it might be wise to have a portable light pole (12-volt clamp on light on the end of a long pole wire to a 12-volt battery) When the minnow are attracted to your night light, just use the pole light and bring them to your net, they'll follow the light like sheep.
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily, I live in Arkansas and have access to Anderson Minnow Farms in Lonoke, AR. I believe that they are the largest supplier of fresh minnows anywhere in the world.
    Seems like the 6 lb. minimum costs about 27 bucks. You can't beat that for fresh out of the pond bait!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast