PDA

View Full Version : World Record Bounty?

briarhead
04-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Are there any companies or crappie organizations paying any money for someone breaking the existing world records for white or black crappie?

Barnacle Bill
04-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Are there any companies or crappie organizations paying any money for someone breaking the existing world records for white or black crappie?

I would imagine a lot of companies would pay well for you to endorse their products. I hope to find out some day. LOL

BTW, welcome to Crappie.com

briarhead
04-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Come on guys I need some info here it is important to me. I know someone on this board has got to knowledgeable enough to know the answer to my question, and yes, there is a fish that could be involved with this question. I am going to see it tomorrow morning and hopefully have a good post to go along with it.

briarhead
04-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the welcome IBNFSHN.

Crapbie
04-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Nice of you to come to our forum in search of money lol I'll give you 1 dollar a pound

briarhead
04-17-2005, 06:26 PM
I personally am not a crappie fisherman, as for my inquest to this forum, I figured it would be the most authoritative site on the web. That is why I am here and to give you guys a little more info supposedly a fish was caught by a friend of mine, it is a white crappie and it was suppose to be weighed by a biologist from my home state dnr today and the weight is 5lbs 13 oz. That is why I am here and yes if it is some money involved I am going to try and make some myself. Why not? My friend, who the catch is in question right now, is a multi millionaire and told me to investigate the possibilties of getting paid. The fish is alive and in his possesion.

whizkids
04-17-2005, 06:42 PM
I have heard of no bounty on a state or world record crappie. There are several tournament trails and a lot of national sponsers at those events. I have never heard it mentioned.

Crapbie
04-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Unless you caught it then there is not much chance of you claiming anything. Making money from large fish is what tournaments are for. It also sounds like it is not a "official" catch. Isn't there a load of rules when it comes to large fish including using certain lines, having a certain person weight and measure the fish right away, only using certain hooks and stuff like that? I heard that somewhere in regards to a large crappie.

briarhead
04-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Crapbie have you ever heard of promotioning something? That is where my money is going to come from. I'm sure there is a sponsorship out there for this fish, "if it is true". I am going in the morning to examine the fish and the paper work for myself. If it is not true then I will post that tomorrow as well.

Crapbie
04-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Maybe you could get alittle spandex swimming suit for it and put company labels on in. Maybe you get him sponsored to swim across lake michigan lol Let me know and I'll draw up some diagrams :)

briarhead
04-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah sure,
Now I have a question for you crapbie. How many clowns did you eat for breakfast this morning?

Tube4Slabs
04-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Maybe you could sell the fish for a mount that could possibly be used by a major sporting goods place or something, but I doubt it will bring you alot of money like new record whitetail deer with a big rack would bring. Crappie are not as popular as the large mouth or a big whitetail buck, so you might get some money if someone is interested in it, but I doubt you'll find anyone interested in spending big bucks on a crappie. So dont count on getting too rich from this

briarhead
04-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm not looking to get rich off of this thing, but, a few extra dollars in my pocket certainly does not hurt my feelings. If someone can make an impression without killing the fish, that would be ok,too.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
04-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Well, I am going to chime in on this one.

First off, welcome to our site. I hope you will offer up some future knowledge to all of us here. As far as making money off of the fish... you didn't catch it, so good luck with that. The only way I can see anything real positive resulting from this fish for YOU, is if YOU donated it alive to the DNR so they might study it for the common good of this nation's greatest natural species of fresh water fish. On the other hand, if the person that caught it can prove to the manufacturers that he undoubtedly caught this giant using their products, only then, IMHO would some type of comp be possible.

Lastly, your friend should cut the 1st 50' of line off of the reel in which he was fishing with when he caught the fish. This may be needed to submit in the future to get the catch acknowledged as a possible state/world record of some type. Also, If he wants his catch recognized as such, he must have it weighed, recorded, and this witnessed by the proper scales and representatives to do so. He may also have to have the fish get genetically tested in order to prove it's origin and species, as well as rule out cross breeding or steroidal enhancement.

Luck to ya, and please remember, money doesn't turn the world...God does.

<,"}/>{ Rippa

briarhead
04-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks Rippa,
All of that was to be done today by a biologist from the DNR. I am going to go see this for myself tomorrow and if it is not true, then I will offer my apologies to this website for posting. If it is true then hopefully I can obtain pictures and a story. One question though why should my buddy donate a live fish to be killed and cut open for study by the DNR? I think we should let the world see it and then when it has expired allow the DNR to have there way with it for studies.

Jerry Blake
04-17-2005, 08:39 PM
You could contact some sporting goods stores (Bass Pro, Cabela's etc.) that have large aquariums and see if they would like to display it. I suspect they would at least be willing to give you a gift certificate for products from their store. A world record crappie would definitely bring some traffic to the store.

DmDuck
04-17-2005, 09:18 PM
You could always auction off "reproductions" of it on ebay !!!

speediib
04-17-2005, 09:35 PM
our dwf has a program for large mouth bass that are either over ten or twelve pounds the will give you a replica papers and a few other things in turn for the fish. they in turn keep it until the next spawn and breed it and it and its offspring are returned to the body of water where it was caught. you might check and see if your dnr has a program like this .

Moose1am
04-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey Briarhead:

If you need help or any information on how to keep the fish alive let me know. I have had several crappie in an aquarium for a year and a half now.

Just make sure that the water does not get too hot. The pH of the water is neutral or close to 7.0.

Remove all chlorine or chloramines from tap water.

Filter the water with a gravel filter and aerater the water. I use an undergravel filter and a power head to suck the water up from below the gravel though a 1" od plastic tube and then back out the power head with some air added. Then I use a power filter with activated carbon to clean the water. I have a heater for winter time but you won't need that this time of the year. I use the AC in the house to keep the aquarium at around 78 deg F during the summertime.

If you need to kill any fungal or bacteria disease I have some idea on how to do that also. I found some natural products (drugs) that work and kill fungal disease on the fish's eyes and body. It's a seven day treatment followed by a 1/4 water change.

I use special chemicals to get rid of the nitrites and the ammonia in the water and that turns it to Nitrates which are not as harmful to the fish.

But a good schedule of water changes with fresh water and a good cleaning of the gravel from time to time really helps.

Hope this helps you guys in some way

CaptnT
04-17-2005, 11:39 PM
I would imagine Bass Pro Shops in Springfield , MO would be your best bet. I have heard of rewards offered for big fish from them to display in thier store.

Wouldn't hurt to contact Cabela's, or Gander Mountain either.

I would be interested in knowing what state it was caught, and seeing a picture when you get a chance.

briarhead
04-18-2005, 08:13 PM
I am sorry to say it was a semi hoax, the fish weighed over 4 lbs but it was not even a state record. So as a man of my word, I appoligize to everyone who read the post and to this forum. I was just following instructions and information that was given to me on the phone. You know the old adage believe 1/2 of what you see, and nothing you hear!

Tube4Slabs
04-18-2005, 09:29 PM
nevertheless thats still a good fish and would love to see pics if you can get em. Looks like your gonna have to keep on buying them lottery tickets like the rest of us to make the big buk, lol.

JEFFRO
04-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Crapbie have you ever heard of promotioning something? That is where my money is going to come from. I'm sure there is a sponsorship out there for this fish, "if it is true". I am going in the morning to examine the fish and the paper work for myself. If it is not true then I will post that tomorrow as well.
Hey briarhead , a friend of mine caught a nice one today , if ya want I can give you his address , he may want you to PROMOTE it for him , maybe you could make a few extra dollars.He isn't a millionare but I bet he'd buy you a happy meal !!!

JEFFRO

Billy
04-19-2005, 08:35 AM
If you cant find an aquarium to put it in and Im not talking about a 50 gallon tank at the house, you should release the fish. I like Jerry Blakes idea. Not for the money, even though Im sure BPS would give you something. To me a fish that big deserves to live somewhere. Billy

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
04-19-2005, 08:48 AM
If you cant find an aquarium to put it in and Im not talking about a 50 gallon tank at the house, you should release the fish. I like Jerry Blakes idea. Not for the money, even though Im sure BPS would give you something. To me a fish that big deserves to live somewhere. Billy

I agree. I also think that the DNR would NOT cut this fish up, and would display it at local boat shows and such when they were not studying it. When it dies of natural causes, then I would be prone to skin mount the mammoth.

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Crapbie
04-19-2005, 11:10 AM
I did not know you could fit 3 pounds of lead in a 1 pound fish. You learn something new everyday :)

If only you could weigh BS that fish would be a world record lol

This reminds me of that hoax huge pet cat. Did anyone ever see that. The hand is out of proportion.

briarhead
04-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Crabpie from what I've seen on this forum if they weighed out your BS, you certainly would be the world title holder. At least I am MAN enough to come back on here and report what I saw, and I did what I said I was going to do.

JEFFRO
04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Crabpie from what I've seen on this forum if they weighed out your BS, you certainly would be the world title holder. At least I am MAN enough to come back on here and report what I saw, and I did what I said I was going to do.

Lighten up dude , you came on here your first time and wanted to make a buck not a friend . You didn't have a fishing story to tell or a tip to offer just how much a big fish was worth . You brought the scarcasum on yourself , lastly a MAN doesn't have to tell anyone he is a man .

JEFF DOISE

briarhead
04-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Jeffro,
You're going to tell me that if an oppourtunity like that presented itself to you? You would not have done the same thing? All I asked if there was money to be claimed for breaking the world record, I know there is money to be claimed for a world record largemouth.So, what is the harm in asking? It is not like I claimed to have caught the fish, and as far as you defending crabby, you need to look at his first 2 post on the topic. That tells me all I need to know about some people, I did not come here to listen to wise cracks all day.I came here to seek legitimate information.

whizkids
04-19-2005, 08:10 PM
it is a white crappie and it was suppose to be weighed by a biologist from my home state dnr today and the weight is 5lbs 13 oz. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------What state is that and where is the weight verification for 4 lbs.? ---------------I am going in the morning to examine the fish and the paper work for myself. ------------------------------------------------------How about posting a copy of the paperwork?--------------------If someone can make an impression without killing the fish, that would be ok,too--------------------------------------From this we assume the fish is alive, either way post a picture?
------------------------------All of that was to be done today by a biologist from the DNR. I am going to go see this for myself --------Well you did post an apology, ------
I am sorry to say it was a semi hoax, the fish weighed over 4 lbs but it was not even a state record. So as a man of my word, I appoligize to everyone who read the post and to this forum. I was just following instructions and information that was given to me on the phone. You know the old adage believe 1/2 of what you see, and nothing you hear!-------------------------------------------For me to believe the whole thing was not created as a gag, I would need to see a picture and a DNR certified weight verification and the name address and telepone number of the DNR agent.

briarhead
04-19-2005, 08:18 PM
First off, I said it was a semi hoax OK. Geez, I did not know I needed a Philedelphia lawyer on this site. Secondly when I got there he did not have it weighed by a biologist as he called me and claimed to do so. The fish is in a 250 gallon cattle trough and he did not want anybody handling it for a photo.When he decides to do whatever he wants with this fish I will make an attempt at getting a photo.Why would I create a hoax and post it on this site to return later, and post my findings out? The joke is on me fellows, I am the only thing that went hook line and sinker for the story. I can take a joke but come on, I did not know this thing would be disected and I would get burned at the stake.

JEFFRO
04-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Jeffro,
You're going to tell me that if an oppourtunity like that presented itself to you? You would not have done the same thing? All I asked if there was money to be claimed for breaking the world record, I know there is money to be claimed for a world record largemouth.So, what is the harm in asking? It is not like I claimed to have caught the fish, and as far as you defending crabby, you need to look at his first 2 post on the topic. That tells me all I need to know about some people, I did not come here to listen to wise cracks all day.I came here to seek legitimate information.
First of all I am not defending anyone , I don't know crabbie from adam . Second ,go back and read your own posts . You came across rude and that is my opinion . Your millionare friend can weigh his own fish , and if you want to make some extra money I am sure he would let you cut his grass or wash his car or something like that . Your turn .

briarhead
04-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I hope this qualifies:
Hey briarhead , a friend of mine caught a nice one today , if ya want I can give you his address , he may want you to PROMOTE it for him , maybe you could make a few extra dollars.He isn't a millionare but I bet he'd buy you a happy meal !!!

briarhead
04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
How about this nice comment:

If only you could weigh BS that fish would be a world record lol

briarhead
04-19-2005, 10:59 PM
And last but not least:
and if you want to make some extra money I am sure he would let you cut his grass or wash his car or something like that . Your turn .

briarhead
04-19-2005, 11:04 PM
comments by crabby and you, Like I said before I can take a joke but sometimes" You can take a joke a little too far". I think you really don't know me well enough to make a statement like washing somebodies car. I wish I had never posted anything on here at all now. If this is thew way to treat new members count me out. I am guilty of posting this story prematurely and yes I did open myself up for ridicule, but if you want to make it personal then feel free lets take the gloves off!

briarhead
04-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Somebody sent me a pm about your fishing adventures Jeffro'

One Saturday morning JEFFRO gets up early, dresses quietly, gets his lunch made, puts on his long johns, grabs his dog and goes to the garage to hook up his boat to the truck and down to the driveway he goes

Coming out of his garage the rain is pouring down: it is like a torrential downpour. There is snow and sleet mixed in with the rain. The wind is blowing at over 50mph.

Minutes later he returns to the garage. He comes back into the house. Turns the TV to the weather channel and he finds it is going to be very bad weather all day long, so he puts his boat back in the garage, quietly undresses and slips back into bed.

There he cuddles up to his wife's back, now with a different anticipation and whispers, "The weather out there is terrible". To which she sleepily replies, "Yeah, can you believe my stupid husband is out fishing in it?"

POOR OLE JEFFRO

briarhead
04-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Here is another Jeffro story

Jeffro had an awful day fishing on the lake, sitting in the blazing sun all day without catching a single one. On his way home, he stopped at the supermarket and ordered four catfish. He told the fish salesman, "Pick four large ones out and throw them at me, will you?" "Why do you want me to throw them at you?" "Because I want to tell my wife that I caught them." "Okay, but I suggest that you take the orange roughy." "But why?" "Because your wife came in earlier today and said that if you came by, I should tell you to take orange roughy. She prefers that for supper tonight."

briarhead
04-19-2005, 11:32 PM
What is the difference between a catfish and a JEFFRO?

One is a bottom-dwelling, scum-sucking scavenger and the other is a fish!

briarhead
04-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Here is another 1 of Jeffro's misadventures:

Jeffro goes into Wal-Mart to buy a rod and reel. he doesn't know which one to get so he just grabs one and goes over to the register. There is a Wal- Mart "associate" standing there with dark shades on. he says, "Excuse me sir...can you tell me anything about this rod and reel?" He says, " JEFFRO I'm blind but if you will drop it on the counter I can tell you everything you need to know about it from the sound that it makes." he didn't believe him, but dropped it on the counter anyway. He said, "That's a 6' graphite rod with a Zebco 202 reel and 10 lb. test line...It's a good all around rod and reel and it's $20.00". he says, "That's amazing that you can tell all that just by the sound of it dropping on the counter. I think it's what I'm looking for so I'll take it." He walks behind the counter to the register, and in the meantime Jeffro breaks wind big-time. At first he is embarrassed but then realizes that there is no way he could tell it was him...being blind he wouldn't know that Jeffro was the only person around. He rings up the sale and says, "That will be $25.50."
he says, "But didn't you say it was $20.00?"
He says, "Yes Jeffro, the rod and reel is $20.00, the duck call is $3.00, and the catfish stink bait is $2.50."

briarhead
04-19-2005, 11:52 PM
there were two coonasses named pierre&JEFFRO. one day pierre called JEFFRO & said JEFFRO I HAVE GOOD NEWS& I HAVE BAD NEWS. JEFFRO thought for a moment & said well pierre give me the bad news first. JEFFRO said, the bad news is we found grandmama floating face down in the bayou this moning. JEFFRO said "oh no not grandmama". JEFFRO ask well whats the good news? the good news pierre said is when we pulled grandmama out of the bayou she had 12 blue crabs hanging on her so we"re gonna float her again in the morning

briarhead
04-20-2005, 12:11 AM
You might be named JEFFRO if:

What has 132 legs and 8 teeth?

A: JEFFRO'S family at a Garth Brooks concert

What does JEFFRO say before he gets injured? “Watch this

Your name might be JEFFRO if you give Santa three pickled eggs and a cold one instead of cookies and milk.

You know your name is JEFFRO, when the biggest city you've been to is Wal-Mart

briarhead
04-20-2005, 12:19 AM
You might be named JEFFRO if:

.The Halloween pumpkin on your front porch has more teeth than your spouse.

You let your twelve-year-old daughter smoke at the table in front of her kids.

You've been married three times and still have the same in-laws.

You think a woman who is "out of your league" bowls on a different night.

Jack Daniel's makes your list of "Most Admired People."

You think Genitalia is an Italian airline.

You wonder how gas stations keep their restrooms so clean.

Your Junior/Senior prom had a daycare.

You lit a match in the bathroom and your house exploded right off its wheels.

The bluebook value of your truck goes up and down, depending on how much gas it has in it.

Ya' can't git married to yer sweetheart 'cause there's a dang law against it.

You think loading the dishwasher means getting your wife drunk.

Your toilet paper has page numbers on it.

briarhead
04-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Jeffro read this and see if you agree:

A helping hand he’ll always lend,

Out fishing,

The brotherhood of rod and line

An’ sky and stream is always fine,

Men come real close to God’s design,

Out fishing

-author unknown P.S. A feller ought to see the light ,

Out Fishing

There is no room to start a fight ,

Out Fishing

This silent world has truths to tell,

There are no crappie in hell,

So treat your fellow anglers well,

Out Fishing

crappster
04-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Wow....that was excellent. This whole argument was all worth it just for those several jokes at the end. I got some new fishin jokes to tell! Thanks guys!

Crapbie
04-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Sure seems like you say it's all on you but yet as soon as someone says something about it you lash out. If its all your fault then why don't you just take it. If the first posts I posted on a forum where like yours I would be willing to give alittle slack. Its not our fault that this happened to you but all you had to do was wait one day to find out if its true or not before posting and non of this would have hppened right?

CrappiePappy
04-20-2005, 07:40 AM
let's settle down and stop all the "mom, he touched me" bantering !!

I let this thread run, hoping that people would settle their differences in a civil manner. Some are taking their posts very close to the "personal attack" phase ... and that rule is not to be broken, nor is it up for discussion or interpretation (except by Ed or myself - moderator of this board).

Continuation of this line of posting (on this thread) will result in this thread being locked.
Continuation of "personal attack" statements or references or inferences (implications) .... by ANY member ... may result in the removal of that member.

Anyone having a problem with this ....... take it up with Ed Moes. ........cp

Bowfin
04-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Most creative flameing I've seen in a long time. Well done Briarhead, you became a "keeper" only by flaming another member. Calm down, don't take it personal, and you did come off a bit greedy and insincere at the beginning. Do you fish or were you just looking to profit? If you fish, welcome aboard. If you don't fish, then what are you still doing here? This is a pretty friendly board, which is a rarity nowadays, so lets try to keep it that way.

crappster
04-20-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't know Bowfin....What is it? In reference to your riddle at the bottom of your post.....

Bowfin
04-20-2005, 12:38 PM
"I don't know Bowfin....What is it? In reference to your riddle at the bottom of your post....."

hint: The one-word answer can be found in John 21 verse 3.

John 21:3
Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

David Waters
04-20-2005, 12:44 PM
the answer is "nothing"

nothing is greater than God
nothing is more evil than the devil
if you eat nothing, you will die
the rich need nothing, the poor have nothing

am I right?

Bowfin
04-20-2005, 01:00 PM
you got it David. The answer is "nothing". Unfortunately, the prize is...uh, "nothing" as well. :)

"that night they caught nothing"- must have been some nightstalkers. This nightfishing thing has been around longer than I thought.

Thanks for playing.

Bowfin

elwood22165
04-20-2005, 06:20 PM
answer to the riddle is: NOTHING