Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Question

What style jigs do you guys use? (i.e. tube, solid tube, grub, tripple ripple style grub, slider, marabou, jelly belly, etc.) I know some may be reluctant to answer this question and that's fine, Im not asking for any secrets, but if youre willing to give em then I should oblidge and take em :D. I'm tryin to get set up to troll and just trying to get a basic feel for what most guys are doing. I know there will be A LOT of trial and error, probably more error than anything lol. Not asking for colors or anything either. I know what I throw WHEN I throw plastic on a cast and retrieve, but I generally retrieve faster than most troll, so maybe Im looking for the best action at slowest speed? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Without a doubt, Hot Grubs are my favorite trollling jig. Great action at slow speeds and all the colors you will ever need.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

There are two times when I troll: during the hotter summer months I troll to locate the fish, and the rest of the year, I always throw two rods out and troll on my way to where I'm going to set up to fish some cover.

When I'm in search mode, I generally will rig one rod with a tube jig and one with a mini crank bait.

When I'm doing the "in-transit" trolling, just heading to where I'm gonna fish, I have my rods rigged with tube jigs, and I just toss them out behind the boat.

Both are productive for me. Trial and error is the way to nail down what baits will work for you on the waters you fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use jigs with marabou tail for the most part this time of year. I also like a Roadrunner this time of year with a marabou tail.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has there favorite. I like to troll roadrunners, or small lipless cranks. Thats what I have the most success with, so of course what I use the most. Im sure you will get a different answer depending on areas.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

agree with DI... sp hot grubs are the best.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I was started on trolling with Beetle Spins. Watch the tips for the right vibration, and vary colors til you start to produce. Still works when I'm not too braindead to remember to do it. Roadrunners work well too, but make sure to test them at boatside to make sure they are properly tuned or they will roll, twisting your line. Slow trolling with the jig of your choice seems to be most popular lately, and as with all crappie fishing, the depth of your presentation is very important. I've used mostly curl tails lately and vary between .6 and 1.5 mph on GPS. Usually have a bit of chartruese on the jig. Good luck- tight lines.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I know lots of guys like tubes, just dont seem to have much action without human intervention. Might check out some of the options you guys mentioned and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

For longline trolling I like the Roadrunners rigged with the Crappie Thunder bodies and Slider grubs rigged on ball jigheads,for tightlining I use minnows or tubes or a combo of both.

Post Thanks / Like

havent decided if I want to try the long line or 'pushing' I feel like I could go heavier and get better depth control by spider rigging of sorts but idk yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast